Better current from PV panels?

I am considering installing Photovoltaic solar panels (9 kWc). Anyone has experience in the quality of the current the PV panels generate for the hi-fi, whether it is better than mains and whether any special equipment is needed?

1 Like

I haven’t noticed any difference at all. No special equipment here

1 Like

Same here, no issues

1 Like

Panels generate dc. I have enphase micoinverters on each of my 16 pv panels. The output of these and my inverter ( when running off the battery) are excellent.

Reality is, my house imports very little ac from the grid now. Except of course at night, to charge my batteries. I too was cincerned that my pv and main unverter would be noisey, but no.

2 Likes

It’s certainly not better than grid mains, but the quality of the inverters I am reliably told has significantly improved though you still pay for what you get… there is a minimum noise level that is permissible if you want to sell back to the grid, but I don’t think it’s particularly low by modern standards, but they typically lower than say 10 years ago. Remember most noise comes through the shared neutral earth in the UK, and the earth is not isolated when you are running of panels or battery.
I am planning to that panels and battery installed this summer as well. The key thing appears to be getting an ‘intelligent’ inverter and battery setup… where you can either charge your battery of the mains at certain times, if your panels output is low.

2 Likes

Another one who noticed no difference at all following the installation of our solar plant complete with batteries.

No sonic degradation or benefit noticed here either when we installed solar PV or subsequent installation of Tesla Powerwall battery.

beware- if your system recharges batteries from the grid you may not be eligible for SEG’s, depending upon your energy company, i had to send plans of system to EON.next to show that panels only, not the mains, recharge the batteries (15.5KW panel set up and 4KW of battery storage).
Do get a SEG of 16.5p per unit
Stephen

Never heard this. Most have a battery with PV. Charge battery overnight at 7.5p, export my PV at 15p. This is an Octopus EV tarrif. Yes, i have an EV too. But, the key here is buying power when it is cheap to help balance the grid. Sell it when your provider wants it at a higher price.
My battery is just balancing the grid. The delta between in/out prices works for me.

2 Likes

Indeed Octopus is who I’ll like be looking at with an Octopus compatible inverter which automates the process.

I have a friend who gets very poor performance from his PV panels, but still added a battery, almost exclusively used to buy off peak, and use or export at peak times. He’s done some calcs on Excel and it looks like he’ll recoup the cost of the batteries in a reasonable time despite exporting hardly any PV generated power.

The last quote I had for 2 5KW batteries was $22K, and it would save less than $2K a year off our power bill, so it’s just not economic for us. I’ve no issues with our micro-inverter systems and the hi-fi either.

1 Like

That sounds very expensive. My mate paid £3k. I was thinking of getting batteries too, but it’s hard to know what the long term benefits would be compared to the export price.
Likewise, I haven’t noticed any effect on the hifi from our PV.

For me the primary benefit of batteries is being able to use your own energy at your peak time, when your panels aren’t generating, ie in the evening… so it allows you to save on consuming from the grid. Selling back to the grid are secondary benefits.

1 Like

Yes, of course you want to store your self-generated power for use at peak times instead of exporting when the sun shines at times when you’re not using much power.
My friend’s case is a bit unusual as his solar generates very little power, so he is using the battery to buy and store cheap rate power. The Octopus Flux tariff currently has an off peak rate of about 13p per unit which makes it worth him charging his battery overnight, especially in winter.

Out of interest did your friend’s survey show the position of the panels was marginal, or was it a surprise? For panels that fall into heavy shade there are technologies / panel types and deployment methods to minimise the impact to the whole setup.

It wasn’t a huge surprise as his S facing roof is shaded by trees. Their output starts to pick up in the spring, then drops when the leaves open.
The panels were grant funded, so it was still a no-brainer for him to get them, but disappointing nonetheless. The downside of that is that he had no say in how the system was designed.

Is that for a single battery? The $22K is £11K is for two 5Kw batteries, the controller and install. But I agree, that is expensive. Most stuff imported to New Zealand is very expensive.

The SolarEdge System certainly does that if you have access to Manual Control rather than it being controlled by your installer.

I’d be interested to know which other inverters allow what you want.

Phil

A good installer can easily predict annual production, albeit usually conservative.