Better DAC

There are plenty of 2019-2021 used NDX 2 streamers about at ~3k+.

2 Likes

GBP 3k+ that is, in the UK, you guys are so lucky! In another thread there was also mention of 50% prices for pre-loved and/or ex-demo current Naim, simply inconceivable here.

Over here budget 4800 - 5000 euros for that pre-loved NDX2, either bought here or imported from UK plus duties/taxes/shipping. A pre-loved ND5 XS2 is 1900-2100 euros. Both are not plentiful either.

Thatā€™s why I just went with an even more scarce nDAC + DC1 for my ND5 XS2 as a ā€œbudget optionā€.

5 Likes

Whereabouts is that?

Thatā€™s maybe not a ā€œbudget optionā€ :wink:
Far from it, actually a very capable solution :+1:
IMHO, beats a NDX2, for a lot less money.

Plus, the nDAC can be used in so many other ways : disc players (as transport) ; TV ; game console, any Apple product - iPhone or iPad, (via USB connector into front panel), etc, etc.

Wishing you lots of luck and listening ā€¦

3 Likes

Netherlands, also generally all Benelux countries, that corner of Europe, expensive :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, daddycool. Did you get the name Daddycoll from the UK and US reggae shops?

How would the nDac compare to the sound quality of a dedicated Naim streamer?

No, daddycool is a Boney M song, and when I became a father it sort of stuck :joy:

2 Likes

Oh, yes. I know the tune well.

Would a Naim DAC and Mac get anywhere near the sound quality of a dedicated Naim streamer?

Some years ago I used a MacbookPro with the Audirvana 3.5 software (which also enables streaming) over USB into a Naim DAC-V1 as a source into my CB Nait 2.

It sounded good and joyful, but the ND5 XS2 is really a step up. Not quite up to vinyl sources mind you, the first got beaten by my tricked Rega P5 at the time, the second by my LP12 now. So I just bought a nDAC in an attempt to narrow that gap.

Apple Music software (formerly iTunes) on your Mac will sound quite flat through the Naim system. There once was the Amara software which was a nice upgrade. The Audirvana 3.5 software was a lot better still, but is no more either, unfortunately. They now offer Origin (purchase, local files) or Studio (subscription-based, also streaming) so I donā€™t know about the Mac option now. It also depends on the type of Mac, believe it or not there is an audible difference.

If you donā€™t play vinyl only digital sources, as a system the DAC-V1 with a NAP 100 / 200 would still be a great cost-effective combination, perhaps with a Bluesound NODE streamer as the source via USB.

There are more options of course, too many actually, thereā€™s also the Atom, or the Atom HE with a NAP 200 / 250, or a non-Naim streamer into a non-Naim dac. Lots of trial and error possibly, but there are many recent good threads on this subject here.

3 Likes

In the previous post, thatā€™s two separate ideas or approaches, based on available budget.

So, add an external DAC, to your MacBook Air. Something like the Chord Qutest.
Or an nDAC, if you can find one. (The nDAC doesnā€™t have a USB input. So, this requires the ā€œwork aroundā€ approach suggested by Richard Dane above).

The context of suggesting a Naim Streamer, these are a complete audio source, with both streaming boards and internal DAC included. Line level, analogue audio out. One box. Simple approach. So, can be connected directly to one of the line inputs on your Naim NAC282, etc.

Just to try and answer any question relating to SQ, all have a slightly different sound signatures. But just focusing on detail, space, weight of notes and other HiFi stuff, I am mindful of the fact you are using 282-250. So, will clearly benefit from decent arrangements here.

Here are some useful resources, to read and learn about streamers, DACā€™s, and NAIM ( maybe call it ā€œall in oneā€ ) streamersā€¦

Hope all that helps?

FWIW, my advice would be to continue to use your MacBook Air, for a while.
Add the best external DAC you can afford for now.

When you are ready, add a decent streamer, (to replace the function provided by the MacBook Air).
Again, depends on budget. For example Innous Pulse mini @ GBP Ā£ 900 (BTW, the Pulse mini has a built in DAC, so it is actually a complete source), or Pulse @ GBP Ā£ 2600.

Innous Pulse, with any decent external DAC, is a very capable audio solution.
If you prefer the idea of one box, fits with your other Naim classic items, then look to a Naim streamer.

Good luck
R

2 Likes

When the NDAC was a current product Naim promoted it as a potential upgrade to the NDX, and to their CD players, as a way to improve their performance. To my ears it sounds significantly better than the NDX2 as well. Like the streamers, itā€™s also upgradeable with a separate power supply if you want to improve it further but that might be a step to far it itā€™s a secondary source.
If you do get one, I would also consider replacing your CD5si with a CD transport into the NDAC, as that could be an extra no-cost upgrade.

4 Likes

From the information I have learned an NDac may be the best route. Qutest is highly rated too. I added a good DAC for about Ā£1200 when I had ND5XS and the results were a good improvement.

3 Likes

The nDAC is awesome. Honestly, seems like a no brainer.

I do also like the Chord DACs, but the nDAC is very special, arguably the best value 2nd hand Naim gear available.

4 Likes

The Ndac is only awesome when paired with a good front end.

With a not so good front end, it is not so awesome. :innocent:

2 Likes

I used my nDAC both as an upgrade to a CD5XS and sourced from a dedicated MacMini and it sounded excellent in both uses. But it does benefit from the quality of the digital source. So whilst a USB/spdif converter would be a great start, I reckon a dedicated transport would be better in the long run.

Roger

4 Likes

When you say dedicated transport, I take it you mean the Mac will be the weakest link and will let the system down.

Iā€™m not sure how many DACs Naim has produced. For clarity, is this the model you are referring to?

2 Likes

Exactly :+1:
The Naim DAC. Also, often referred to as nDAC.

2 Likes