Bike Fitting

I guess that’s about what I’m looking for!

1 Like

Yep.

My latest bike is a gravel bike. Two sets of wheels - 700s with 32 road tires, and 650s with wider off road tires. 11-32 cassette (road wheels) and 11-36 cassette (off road wheels).

Takes no time at all to swap the wheels over.

Good for pretty much anything other than MTB trail centre type rides. Though downhill on the South Downs is pretty scary without a dropper post. Tend to go much slower and heavier on the brakes!

I have two wheelsets for my all-road/gravel bike, and it does everything, but I still love my carbon race bike. But yeah, if I had to go back to one bike, the all-road/gravel is definitely more versatile, and the obvious choice.

The guy that built my bike (and is building my new one) is really reluctant to specify 650B. His logic is that they are slower-rolling. The only reason he’d spec the smaller wheels would be for fit reasons for a smaller rider. I don’t really know how much of an issue it is.

My new bike uses mountain-bike “boost” spacing for the cranks and rear axle to allow wider 700C tyres. It will take mountain-bike cross-country race tyres up to about 2.1" (55mm).

Cervelo now do Aspero 5 - a friend has one and rates it highly as a do-it-all bike…

My road bike is the original MY Cervelo C3 Di2 (2016). It’s been a great bike except for the crappy paint that started chipping within the first week. Even though it’s marketed as a road endurance bike, it fits 700x35 light gravel tires. Once I get my new bike built, I will repurpose it as a winter/crappy weather bike running Schwalbe G-One Allround 700x35 tubeless tires.

of course it’s an important part of any bike fit! also on road bikes. it’s however mostly based on ones anatomy.

I had 820mm bar on my enduro mtb and it was wild! now I would run something closer to 780mm which for me is a goldilocks length.

I spent 16h racing along a guy on 650b gravel wheels in early August. He was as fast as I was :wink: he seemed to have more fun on singletracks tho. We even had same tires - pirelli but his were 50 and mine 40.

My are now about 660mm on my XC downcountry* bike. I am obviously strange.

(*Bikes almost has as many genres as music now)

Bruce

What happened next @RogerGround ?

Hi @Christopher_M

Not a lot really.
Did a lot of investigation and having email conversations with different fitters.
Then my elderly mother had a fall, got that all sorted: then I had shingles.
So it is on the back burner, until the clocks go forward.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.