Bill Evans recommendations

Looking to broaden my limited experience with BE. I’d be interested in this forums members thought on his best releases. I’ve only got two in my collectionimage image

4 Likes

I have only one, very nice but sad . Not a critic however.
Highly recommended .

You must believe in spring.

6 Likes

They are all good but this is the one I come back to the most

9 Likes

Screenshot 2020-09-21 at 20.04.01 Screenshot 2020-09-21 at 20.04.35

My one and only Bill Evans but it’s rather good

6 Likes

My fav is with the initial trio.
Sunday at the village vanguard.

6 Likes

‘On Green Dolphin Street’

G

6 Likes

Been playing this one. Lovely stuff. Gonna see if I can get on CD. Thanks for the recommendation:)

2 Likes

Liking this one too. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

5 Likes

The Village Vanguard recordings are superb/critical favortites. I also really enjoy the BE/Paul Motian/Chuck Isreals-era stuff, particularly How My Heart Sings. But my personal favorite album of his is with different trio featuring Eddie Gomez, You Must Believe in Spring. It just boogies.

7 Likes

Bill Evans’ fan here, all of his (and the trio) albums are very groovy, but IMO the Village Vanguard recordings are the best of the best.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. Working my way through them on Spotify.

1 Like

Without hesitation I would say ‘Portrait in Jazz’ and ‘Explorations’ plus the two albums covering the legendary Village Vanguard sessions in 1961.

4 Likes

I have around 50 Bill Evans records and CDs, plus several he’s recorded with other artists (Miles, Adderley, Nelson etc.). Although I realise you have the Waltz for Debby album, you really must get The Complete Village Vanguard set, which Dan Steel recommends above.

To guide you on your way, I’d recommend you get Peter Pettinger’s book, ‘How My Heart Sings’

8 Likes

Listening as I type :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just ordered on CD. Might not be the last. Thanks for the suggestions.

2 Likes

The first Bill Evans lp I ever bought, over 50 years ago. Still play lots:

One I played all the time as a teenager:

A very empathetic duo:

7 Likes

I’ve just ordered “How my heart sings” on CD

3 Likes

I really like the collaboration with Jim Hall : Undercurrent (1963) and Intermodulation (1966).

f3r8g550.j31

6 Likes

I have many Bill Evans recordings on vinyl, but my favorite continues to be this wonderful set my wife gave me for Chrismas 8 years ago. All 11 albums he released on Riverside, reissued by Analog Productions at 45 RPM. It includes the two classic Village Vanguard albums, among other greats. Well worth seeking out if you have the $$$ to spend. I have the original Pallas-pressed version. Later represses came from Quality Record Pressings.

Bill Evans - Riverside Recordings (Analog Productions).

9 Likes