Bill Evans recommendations

Often around a thousand pounds now.

Just ordered the 3 disc Village Vanguard set having enjoyed it on Spotify.

3 Likes

Good decision. It’s nice to hear the music in the order it was played over the different sets.

1 Like

A remarkable recording on CD which I am enjoying right now after it dropped through the letterbox. Seems to have added clarity and space over the Spotify versions or am just dreaming it?

2 Likes

Acoustic Sounds still shows it as backordered, rather than OOP or Sold Out, so I wonder if it will still get a repress.

1 Like

It’s hard to believe it was recorded in 1961. As far as I’m concerned, I’ve never heard a bad recording from the Village Vanguard. Maybe it’s something to do with the triangular shape of the room. In this recording I think the noises from the audience just add to the ambience and the feeling of being there.

You might also like California Here I Come, also recorded at the VV, but six years later with Eddie Gomez on bass and Philly Joe Jones on drums. I’ve got this as part of the complete Verve box set, which includes more from those sessions than is included on the California Here I Come album.

8 Likes

I’ve found the same thing with a number of other recordings from the late 50’s to mid 60’s. Extraordinary fidelity in everything except tape hiss.

The 2LP of this one features in today’s RSD batch 2. Second press from Resonance.

4 Likes

So another one to add to the collection.

3 Likes

Yes…agreed.i have this on mint vinyl…my fav Evans record.

1 Like

Interesting selection here, most of them tracks that, as a life-long Evans fan, I wouldn’t have considered.

1 Like

You must believe in spring …this was my entree in the world of jazz. It still belongs to my all time favs. Go with this…I was hooked after the first 10sec :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Brilliant version of Nardis on that Montreux LP.

With Jack DeJohnette and Gomez letting rip.

1 Like

5 Likes

6 Likes

The Tony Bennett Bill Evans is my favorite by far, after Miles KOB.

1 Like

Another Time: The Hilversum Concert is incredibly recorded. Quite energetic session with Jack DeJohnette from 1968 and recently released.

2 Likes

Yes. That intro… :muscle::fire:

8 Likes

Thanks for that one.

G