Bill Turnbull

Sorry to see that Bill has lost his battle with this bloody horrible prostate cancer.
Catch it early (i was lucky) and it is manageable . Delay, it enters your bones and life becomes difficult.
If you haven’t had a PSA check try and get one. It is I believe still the most common monitor available.

9 Likes

Very sad news. Condolences to his family. The message has to be GET PSA TESTED at 50, or earlier if you think you have symptoms. I was diagnosed at 50, as was my older brother. Luckily my PSA is at a relatively low level but that can change.

2 Likes

Very sad news. 2017 was my year also - all looking good.:crossed_fingers:

@PaulM hoping you are through the treatment you chose and on the mend.

Phil

1 Like

I had a conversation with an American friend who had a prostatectomy a few years ago. Sadly his PSA levels are rising again. Last month he had a scan that pinpointed three sites where tumours are beginning to grow - lungs and ribs. His next scan will be with radiation therapy that will zap the three sites directly.

As far as I can gather the scan follows the trace fluid that targets and flags a protein in the tumours, the radiation then hits these flags. It’s high tech treatment; does anyone know if it’s available here?

1 Like

Very sad. He always seemed a very mild mannered gent.

Life is cruel.

3 Likes

Sounds very similar to my investigations.
After mri I went to another department and was injected with a dye.
Bye they said see you again in six hours.
The time lapse is obviously for the dye to enter your bone structure and show any anomaly.
A course of tablets for testosterone irradication that make you sweat like a menopausal woman (you have my sympathy) and the fun in the lead lined room starts.

1 Like

PC metastasis is usually to bone. Because the metastasis creates many more ‘bone’ cells (factor of 10) a radioactive calcium mimetic is traditionally used. CT may be used in conjunction with detecting the gamma rays to pinpoint suspicious areas for subsequent radiation treatment. More recently there have been trials of radiation therapy being delivered in much the same way as for the scan making it more targeted. Other mechanisms than calcium mimetic are being investigated that seek out the prostate cancer cell.

Phil

2 Likes

Same here, I had my 2nd hormonal implant last week (1st one was a month long one, this one is 3 months) and I’m having what I call head sweats (base of neck and above) at least 15 times a day…thankfully going for a swim helps…radiotherapy in Oct (chose this rather than prostrate removal as I had a TIA stroke caused by the biopsy :flushed:)…just pleased that cancer contained within prostrate :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks for remembering Phil. I chose the removal option and underwent the RALP just over 3 weeks ago. My recovery is going well and considering the op was only a short time back I am pleased just how well I feel. The stitches and catheter are now out and am now learning to adjust and to retrain those areas that need to be retrained. I have a session lined up with my consultant in just over one week’s time and my first post op PSA two weeks after that so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this was the right option.

2 Likes

I’m glad your recovery is going well and I will be hoping like you and your friends and family that the cancer is gone.

Phil

2 Likes

This is terribly sad new about Bill; with all the early publicity in his case and his own report on its progression and treatment I thought that he was still fighting, not losing the battle. Bill always gave the impression of being a really genuine guy albeit with a hint of mischief. I have just been reading about the surgeon Henry Marsh and his experience of prostate cancer: one that again was caught late and I believe that he has written a further book on his experience with this cancer alone.

3 Likes

Thanks once again for your kind words Phil.

Paul

RIP Bill, just a message from someone in medical diagnostics. I am not medically qualified, but work in the area with those that are. There can be many reasons a PSA antigen test can be abnormal. Its always a combination of diagnostics. e.g ultrasound, PSA value, symptoms, history, physical exam,waking up through the night to pee etc etc.

The major influence i always hear is the same. Get checked and secondly any unusual plumbing behaviors in that area, get checked. Oh and get checked.

Regards Martin

6 Likes

Yes my friend mentioned those tablets!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.