Black box upgrade conundrum

Hello all,
Currently have a 282, 250DR, one HCDR, ND5XS2, and nDAC. My question is whether to add another HCDR for the 282 (no intention for the 252) or add a s/h XPS non-DR for the nDAC.
Not real sure which would make the most audible difference…
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thank you.

You’re about to be asked what speakers you have, plus the size of your listening space. Other questions may follow too. Several will tell you to contact a good Naim dealer.

Just thought I’d give you a heads-up. We can be a demanding bunch.

Mark

5 Likes

Replace the HCDR with a SupercapDR if you can… that’s all I would do… which I did!:slight_smile:

3 Likes

nDAC with a power supply is awesome. We ran temporarily with XPSDR now have 555.

3 Likes

Any XPS would be a great move. :+1:

2 Likes

Can’t speak for XPS or 555 on nDAC but evidence from all is go for it (555 on CDS3 is certainly a brilliant upgrade), but can really recommend SC on the 282.

2 Likes

SN…? Did you mean SC - SuperCap…?

Hard to look past a power supply for the NDAC…

3 Likes

Yes - amended. Thanks Ian.

1 Like

Personally I wouldn’t do anything. Of course If you can have an extended home demo of a 252-Supercap then try that. If not stay where you are

3 Likes

Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions.

Concerning the nDAC which probably does deserve its own external power supply, I have heard or read that Naim is no longer servicing them? Is this true in fact, even for power supply caps or the Naim logo LED?

I’m not aware of that. @neils ?

Not as far as I know. We can do PSU caps & logo no problem.

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes

If you have to have all-NAIM, upgrade to an NDX2 first.

I would think that his source is good enough for better amplification. That said maybe an extended home demo of an NDX2 and 252-Supercap is a good idea to see what the best option is

Had our nDAC serviced earlier this year, no issues at all (other than the cost :laughing:)

Only required PSU caps.

1 Like

What’s the upgrade?

OP has ND5XS2 into nDAC.

They’re just a PSU away from sonic bliss.

4 Likes

Thread drift I wonder what ND555/555 vs ND5XS/nDac/555 comes out like?

2 Likes

ND5XS2/nDAC/555 roughly equivalent to NDX2/555. Very little in it, subtle presentation differences and different tonality. We prefer the nDAC (although we’re using NDX2 as transport, not ND5XS2, as SWMBO wanted a screen and remote).

ND555 (for the extra cost) should be in a different league…Worth the 10 grand difference, who knows. Our dealer said that compared to what we have it’s not worth considering unless we also go 552. Another 40 grand, no thanks we’re ecstatic with current system.

4 Likes

Come on guys…… better amplification is where it’s at. Of course it needs home demoing