Black box upgrade conundrum

@NeilS Thanks for clarification. Was told this by a Focal/Naim dealer here across the Channel. Perhaps he was “misinformed”.

@IainO If you don’t mind me asking, how old was your unit and how/why did you decide to send in for service? Thanks.

@Andyblain Thank you but some would argue that the dual PCM1704Ks of the nDAC are not inferior to the NDX2 DAC and both the NDX2 and the ND5XS2 share the same streaming board.

5 Likes

2011 vintage, bought from naim dealer.

Both dealer and naim said it didn’t need service as was fully operational but we decided to do it anyway since it was getting plugged into some very expensive kit.

Peace of mind and it won’t be moving off our rack for a long time.

Be aware a band 7 digital service is a good percentage of the purchase cost of a mint nDAC so perhaps hold off if a service isn’t needed (naim quote 12 years minimum I think).

2 Likes

I’d be looking for a PS for the nDac assuming you’re not upgrading the source.

2 Likes

My overriding point was that, if you’re looking at buying NAIM only, I would focus on source, not amplification.

The NDX2 is a better streamer than the ND5XS2. If it’s worth the price difference, that’s really up to you. Only your ears can decide.

@Andyblain - You’re missing the point.

There’s already an nDAC in the chain.

Nobody is arguing that an ND5XS2 is not bettered by a bare NDX2.

Into an nDAC they are sonically equivalent ,more or less, as they are being used as a digital transport and share the same parts.

5 Likes

Sorry Iain - I did genuinely miss that. My apologies. That changes the equation. I don’t know enough about the nDAC to offer any advice on the source side.

@Andyblain nDAC is a gem that’s all you need to know :smile: I don’t think naim discontinued it for any reason other than the (out of production) chips are needed to build ND555s, although sales had likely been declining due to quality of DAC in NDX2.

There are other advantages to swapping the ND5XS2 for an NDX2 when used with nDAC, but you’re basically paying 3K for a remote and screen.

Having said that, SWMBO insisted on it and I’m rather glad she did. The remote is fantastic for system automation, where it controls the 252 in “fine adjustment” mode, making it easy to set correct volume for TV. And the screen/remote makes it easy to flick between radio stations or back to TV.

But SQ isn’t a differentiator with an external DAC!

Before we went for an ND555 we might consider other outlandish DACs with NDX2 as source, because the streaming board and digital out on the naim streamers are excellent.

Part of me wants to add an XPSDR to the NDX2 to see if the transport improves, but deep down I know that would be silly.

2 Likes

XPS (of any description) on the nDAC.

You know it makes sense! :grin:

7 Likes

@suzywong Yes, now I need to find one!

2 Likes

I’m one of (many) that have this combo and it’s fantastic. What @suzywong and @IainO say is spot-on

1 Like

I’m using an old and AFAIK unserviced Olive XPS on my nDAC (also “virgin”), and even then there is a clear uplift in SQ.

Additionally, the nDAC seems to respond to a “better” digi input stream (which is not cough what it implies in the product sheet :laughing: ).

All in all a most remarkable DAC.

3 Likes

I did try a Just Boom Digi HAT on my Pi 3 into my nDAC and it was interesting :thinking: On some tracks it was quite close to my ND5XS and on others you’d think a completely different track was being played. This was with a decent quality RCA-BNC cable.
It couldn’t beat the old ND5 though :slightly_smiling_face: Naim certainly know what they are doing.

nDAC is definitely sensitive to quality of feed. We use an RPI + SPDIF hat based solution to get Tidal Connect on SuperUniti with a high quality RCA to RCA digital cable.

Sounds fine in the office, but when we tried it in the lounge on nDAC/555 (out of interest) it was absolutely blown away by NDX2 as a digital transport. Perhaps this is to be expected given the near 6K price difference.

Sky Q also sounds better into NDX2 as opposed to straight into nDAC. No idea why.

1 Like

Hi garçon.

Did you notice a big difference adding the Supercap dr?

I found changing my HCdr for SCdr gave minimal improvement using my 282. What made a big difference was adding an XPSdr to my NDX2 after.

Cheers.
Colin.

1 Like

There is no limit!

I have NDX2+XPS too. It’s a great source, about equal to CDS2 or CDS3 (high praise) imho.

Like many (but not all) here, I view swapping Hicap for a Supercap on 82 or 282 as pretty modest in itself and not radically better than going from 1 Hicap to 2.

Of course a Supercap opens up the option to change 282 to 252, and your streaming source will benefit from the extra life (and micro detail and taut control when needed) from the better preamp. There’s always another upgrade you could do…

2 Likes

I think I owe a clarification - I replaced a HCDR with a SCDR on a Supernait 3 (so not 282) and have posted my impressions separately. However, what I experienced at that point made me rethink all my previous (slightly lukewarm) experiences with Naim PSUs and their importance/contribution and positioning within the range too.
Having had a HCDR on the SN3 or XPSDR on NDX2, while always helpful and an improvement (indeed there is always some upgrade one can do), has never really felt very special or too exciting - more like a notch further but not too different (unless my expectations have been too high). For lack of a better comparison, the SCDR melted my heart and didn’t even give me a chance to apply a rational evaluation. For me it was an instant elevation into a more emotionally involving, more vivid and deeper, texturally beautiful presentation at a level I had not heard before with a PSU.
Clearly, the nDAC is being used in different combinations and I am not sure what an XPS might bring more e.g. vs with the NDX2 of course, but I would say now - my SN3, and my home stereo, cannot be complete without the SCDR in it!
… but mind you, for disclosure, I am writing all of this under the influence of good music right now and it’s not impossible that my heart could be taking the upper hand again. I don’t mind:)

5 Likes

Interesting. I’ve always wondered what a SuperCapDR would do for a SN3. Awhile ago my dealer was trying to sell me one. He said if I plan on going to a 252 get the Supercap now. I didn’t bite.

2 Likes

What did a Supercap cost then?

1 Like