Black Magic

Steve, Next week onwards?

Phil

Thanks Huw.

I’m coming down to Pershore this weekend to visit my (nonogenarian) parents et al - if we do the Malvern walk I’ll listen out for the sound of vibration-free music!!

1 Like

We have an oxymoron! Yeehaaa!

3 Likes

Hergest ridge?

1 Like

Sounds good Phil.
Nothing in my diary yet.

2 Likes

So will a few beer mats do the same job?

2 Likes

Depends whether they are pre-soaked by spillage. Bitter makes the sound harsh whilst Mild gives a warm sound with accentuation of the mid-range :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Two damp beer mats either side of a slice of pressed ham possess excellent damping properties, especially in pub based systems.

2 Likes

Have you tried taking them out again to see if SQ gets worse?

That’s Monday’s task when a buddy comes around for tea …

1 Like

Tea has been taken, music has been chosen, and the fire lit.
First the pads were moved to the NAT01 from the black box.

We didn’t discern any alteration to the lunch time concert, but my Ron Smith Galaxy is not in the best condition as a few elements are missing. I blame the Blackbirds.

Mahler’s 5th was next and that distracted us from the audition; eventually we listened to some old school songs from Cat Stevens, Simon and Garfunkel, Leonard Cohen and Elvis. The consensus was that these black pads some how cleaned up the presentation of the music; the sound stage was more pronounced and the instruments richer in tone and more distinct.

This audition was with the pads under my Audiostore black box and 52; we did not experience any SQ differences when I removed the pads that were underneath my 52, but my friends have taken these pads away to see if they make a difference to their B&O system (I make no judgements…).

Somewhat influenced by the Derek and Dominoes album I would suggest?

1 Like

Like bagpipes? - best heard two counties away

1 Like

So you’re saying that SQ was better with the pads under the feet of the 52 and Audiostore server.

But the ones under the 52 weren’t responsible for the uplift.

So the uplift must have come from the pads lowering the vibration in the Audiostore box, and/ or between the Audiostore box and the rack shelf?

(Or you just imagined the whole thing!)

Or it really was magic!

1 Like

You make a good point about the shelf the black box sits upon.
It’s an angle iron (?) beast that my dealer recommended; it holds from the top: black box, 4x’Qutes, a Humax box, a video server with its switch / relay. It used to hold a Qnap NAS that has been replaced by the black box.
It’s on wheels and allows access to the under stairs area where the broad band comes in, and the LAN switch. It’s hardly a Fraim, but I could place the black box elsewhere with a bit of thought as there are LAN ports all around the house, and the old Qnap NAS are doing service in the study and guest bedroom.

Ah - that’s interesting.
So perhaps the shelf wobbles a bit, and that vibration echoes up into the server and interferes slightly with the signal processing?
And as all those plugged in electrical boxes are vibrating slightly, each to their own different rhythm, then one can imagine that a ‘constrained layer vicoacoustic pad’ might improve the isolation of the black box, and have an impact on SQ…?

1 Like

I have a Humax box and a Samsung TV with its own STB sitting on a table together. All their vibrations are dissipated into the carpet under the table.

My 3 Naim boxes are on a hifi rack spiked through the carpet onto the concrete floor.

My router is on the carpet. And my Cisco is on a shelf of a separate table near the hifi rack that sits (unstably) on top of the carpet.

So in my set up the thing that would be most likely to suffer from vibration issues is probably the Cisco.

In fact, this makes me think I should try moving the Cisco onto the carpet.

But I suppose the Naim boxes might be vibrating on the wooden shelf of the Quadraspire rack a tiny bit too?

All this vibration stuff takes me back to my student days when I was studying acoustics and sticking accelerometers on speaker stands. I should have looked at equipment stands as well!
Apologies for the poor lighting, but you might just be able to pick out the style of the stand. It’s quite rigid but I can imagine it transmits vibration well.

One thing that bugs me about the stand is that when trying to turn off the fasciae on the Qutes, they all respond differently - hence the logo is on on one but off on the others …

Somebody needs to be the first person to put a full Fraim stack in their data cabinet. I feel you are the right man for the job…

1 Like