Bloody Naim 2!

Well I have everything here. I am a fan of Audionote and have AN CDT4+AN DAC4.1 feeding the amp and the AN Es/HE silvers with separate crossovers. And a shed load of AN silver (and Naim) cables. In the amplifier corner there is an Allegri+250DR, for solid state a Pass Labs XP12+XA30.8 (Class A 30w) and for the tubes an Allnic integrated. 4xKT150s in triode mode.

I will a lot of fun comparing that lot.

Should say I am a reviewer so that explains that lot of equipment…oh and the second system and then there is…

And if it helps I am over in paris in May visting my niece.

1 Like

I couldn’t listen to the AN system as it needed some TLC - IIRC some tubes had gone really noisy and it was in need of repair.

Hi Stuart,

You are right. I phoned Signals this morning.

M

1 Like

And I’ll supply some biccies!

1 Like

Could you tell me if you prefer Allnic or 250 dr or 300 dr with Audionote speakers ? Perhaps later, if you have the possibility to test.
I am convinced that the 300 dr will not win here but it’s only my feeling and I heard a lot of times.
Maybe i am wrong…

You are more than welcome and I should be able to keep the 250DR warm in the 2nd system.I assume as 250DRs need the cables to keep the amp stable (oscillating) that running it without cables is not advised (may not be a problem now?).

That will give us two points of view which will help. But if both are good in different ways it could get expensive…

EAR868pl vs Townshend Allegri

I decided to plug the Allegri back in last night, and what a spectacularly great VFM bit of kit it is. So how does it measure up to the EAR with the 300DR?

The EAR has an excellent phono stage, and the LP12 via it IS that bit better than the Linn Klimax, even in its non-Keeled state. So this is just looking at each pre as a line stage.

The EAR is a TAD more dynamic across the frequency spectrum. This means that when playing Lou Reed, Walk on the Wild Side the opening with the double bass is just a touch more vibrant and present. However, with recordings with a touch of high end sibilance this is very slightly more emphasised, for instance Tanita Takaram, Twist in My Sobriety; through the 868 you quickly settle into this, but with the Allegri the effect is that bit less.

The Allegri may be a touch quieter. I love Dusty Springfield, Son of a Preacher Man. In the track the bass playing is excellent, but not thrust forward. In earlier iterations of my system I have had to expend effort following what was being played, not so with the 300DR. Through the Allegri the line is that tiny bit easier to follow than with the 868.

Surpringly, to me, the Allegri sounds just a bit softer than the 868. This is NOT accurate, it is delivers all the information clearly, but it doesn’t emphasis sibilant touches in female voices for instance.

All very subtle. Either way these are two excellent pre-amps that work really well with the 300DR. I DO like that fact that the 868 has a remote control so I can edge the volume up and down with playlists.

M

1 Like

Just sent the following to a friend who asked me how the 300DR is going after a couple of weeks:

I have just been wearing in a new Burndy and so have just been using it for films for the last couple of days, just moved back to music. The 300DR has a lovely balance. In many ways it reminds me of the 534, but with greater detail, extension and punch. The 534 may still be a tad better at vocals.

I love that it lets through the best of the Allegri or 868pl, and so lets the music through – such an open window.

M

All agree, but if you add : With SBL speakers.
I compared the v12 integrated from Ear on my speakers vs the 912/ 300 dr. It was absolutely not night and day : Better vocals with the ear, and a tad more authority with the 300 dr. And I guess the 534 would be better with the 912 vs v12 only.

Hi FR,

Yes, absolutely. Everything is system dependent. But I am very pleasantly surprised that both the Allegri and 868 work so well with the 300DR. Just ordered a set of valves for the 868pl from Dena.

M

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.