Blown away

Well I’ve connected my new 152 xs amp up to a hicap and I’m blown away the sound is phenomenal ,didn’t think the sound would be much different from my nac 112 just shows what I know

17 Likes

Good result :+1:

2 Likes

I’m not surprised. I felt the NAC152xs’s predecessor, the NAC122x was a big upgrade over the old NAC112, and the NAC152xs went even further. I’m sure a HICAP helps a great deal too!

4 Likes

Pleased to hear it. Just remember me at Christmas me ol’ mate!

2 Likes

Out of interest, have you got the HC on upgrade 1 or upgrade 2 on the preamp?

My instinct would be to put it on 1.

1 Like

I followed the naim connection guide and put in upgrade 2 ,would it make any difference do you think

I would certainly try upgrade 1 and see which you prefer.

1 Like

When I owned a 152xs, HC on Upgrade 2 and a Naim iSupply on Upgrade 1.

The iSupply is rare as hen’s teeth but its a cheap and effective upgrade on the 152.

1 Like

I always found that a bit strange with the 152. Same applies when powering 2 items with a flatcap - the flatcap goes to upgrade 2 on the 152. Maybe it’s just another naim oddity like persisting with the speaker outputs the wrong way ‘round from the amp.

The 152 is a great preamp though! I’ve upgraded but still holding on to my 152. Might use it in a second setup in future.

2 Likes

If you are behind the amp looking at the speaker terminals the direction is correct.

1 Like

Of course, but who stacks their amps that way ‘round, with the naim logo facing the wall?

We just end up with speaker cables crossing over behind the amp which is a bit silly IMO.

1 Like

It was a hang over from pro amps where the back was the front. It also was a handy reminder not to place your hifi system between your speakers, as with reflex designs that require close to wall or near wall boundary placement having anything between the speakers is a usually a big non-no.

I note that the current Uniti range have now changed the socket orientation…

1 Like

Oh come on man! It’s time to don the ‘oh so quirky’ hair shirt! Do you honestly believe that Naim should be set up for the benefit of its customers?!! (Apart from SQ obviously).

The day they do that, where’s the pleasure?!! :grinning: :upside_down_face: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

Had the 152 for a long time but I preferred the flatcap X’s over the hicap.
Maybe my room, speakers, ears -who knows. Great pre for the money though. :+1::ok_hand:

2 Likes

It’s the English way of doing things. And for some reason it always seemed to make sense to me, even my old Quad amps are the same.

2 Likes

But why, isn’t Upgrade 1 for digital controls and lights?

With their numbering, Naim appear to be suggesting in which order upgrades should be performed.

Just as forumers set great store by a NAPSC on the NAC202, and the NAC282 is actually supplied with one, a Naim power supply on upgrade 1 on the mighty NAC152XS seems to fufill the same function. So i gained the impression that this should be done first. Perhaps @NeilS could confirm this.

1 Like

The upgrade 1 socket doesn’t carry any signal & supplies the control & relays.
The upgrade 2 socket supplies the gain stage, AUX2 powered socket & filter stage.

As you say u/g 1 is similar to the PSC on a 202 etc.

Regards
Neil.

4 Likes

My dealer loaned me a 152XS/FC. After the 552 and 252, I reckon it’s the best pre in the range and remarkable value for money.

4 Likes

Im thinking of getting a Flatcap for my XS2. I hear (no pun intended) that it makes a big difference. I wonder if the later Flatcaps would be as good? One chap said that hed tried both and that the original olive was better.

1 Like