Blue Jeans Ethernet cables

Because I have now taken the switch out and the differences between the Vodka and BJCs is so minimal that it’s not worth sticking with the costlier cable.

1 Like

I’m not sure that’s not in practice a separate issue. What I do know is that the sound of my system changed quite a bit as the cables ran in, which is why I didn’t comment for a few days. Anyway we make choices in different ways and so long as we end up in a place that’s right for us it really doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Yes, it did surprise me when l took the switch out and then added all BJCs that this would sound more to my liking than with all the extra stuff. I’m now left with two Cisco 2960 (Blue & White) switches, 3 x Cinnamon and 1 X Vodka, plus 1 x BJC cables made redundant…

1 Like

He was dismissing BJC before he even had any in his possession iirc.

I’ve had my cat 6a BJC installed for a week and they’re just starting to sound good.

I’ve been trying the cat 6a in different places in the loom with different effects. Once they’re more run in I will try them directly attached to the streamer and nas.

[quote=“Stephen_Tate, post:201, topic:4048”]
so called burn in is pretty much overhyped. […] unlike my AQ cables, where burn in was noticeable
[/quote] :thinking:

I have heard of cases where brand new ethernet cables made the system sound bad when first plugged in but very good a week later.

I think that’s why firms like Futureshop do a free 96 hour burn in service.

You could loan me your white Cisco and I could loan you a nifty…:blush:

But you have been very dogged in your replies… :blush:

1 Like

When I switched from bundled Cat5e to the DC CatSnake I hated them for an hour or so, dismissed them out of hand and departed on my high-end cable journey. It was only after I’d been persuaded to give the AQ Vodkas a few weeks to come on song (they did improve s lot, but I still hated them in my system), that I thought I’d give the DC another chance, revising my opinion considerably after a couple of days and even more positively after around a week.

Hi Michael
Yes, there’s a case where burn in is 100% clear.

When I got Meicord and Designacable both had a very bad clotted effect on sq.
I got fed up with each of them after a day or two and so never found out what effect they would have had a week later.

But from your reports and those of numerous others I made a mistake and should have been much more patient.

FWIW, my MeiCord sounded pretty good from the get-go - replacing Supra Cat-7A

As far as I can tell (which isn’t very far as, like most people I don’t have a near perfect memory for sound) since installing them, my Connectix cables have changed less than my mood and my brain’s interpretation of the sound from my system.

5 Likes

I’ve never noticed any burn in of Ethernet cables. The Catsnake 5e was an improvement over a Cat 6 that I was previously using; and that one was the best of some budget cables. Improvements were detected in seconds.
On the other hand I find serviced kit takes time to come on song. Indeed my Supercap required speaker position changes a few weeks after being serviced.

1 Like

I’m now wearing the full denim outfit. Thumbs through my waist belt hoops, Status Quo on, cans on, oh yeah!

1 Like

Suits you Sir!

I was surprised to learn data cables need to burn in but I’ve witnessed it for myself. It took well over a week for my BJC to get to their sweet spot. I don’t why this is but it is.

Or taken another way, it took you a week to get used to it and it’s not changed at all. I never used to like tea without milk, but trying it out for a sustained period changed my mind to it and now I don’t have it. I even like Earl Grey which I could not stand before.

1 Like

Yes, but Earl Grey with milk objectively tastes dreadful.

Like the rancid nak butter sweets and nak butter tea they serve at Shigatse Monastery in Tibet.

2 Likes

I’ve never liked tea with milk so I can’t comment. :smiley:

1 Like

Just an tiny drop of milk in Earl Grey is my tipple :coffee::sake:

It can’t objectively taste dreadful and can only subjectively taste that way. I have milk with Earl Grey and it tastes great. To me. Subjectively. Call me an ignorant pleb if you like, but it’s sure as hell not objectively dreadful. Nothing subjective can be objective. It just can’t. That’s objective.

1 Like