Blue Jeans Ethernet cables

The detail makes no sense without it :wink:

BJC - 6 or 6a? which would be better for NDX2? Do you know? Thanks

I don’t have a Naim streamer, but I would use Cat 6 rather than Cat 6a for a patch lead to any streamer. The cables are not expensive so you may want to try both.

I saw one posted for £9k on the Naim b&s FB page! I wonder why?

No idea - but it’s way out of my price range…

To my surprise the 6a sounds quite a bit better in my system than the 6

1 Like

I use the 6a too! Sounds great!

1 Like

My 6a sounds great too.
Lucky I ordered that version.
I was keen on the idea of shielding thw cable from all the EM field stuff that zooms around that part of the room…but no idea whether or how that happens

1 Like

I use 3 x 1m BJC 6a which replaced AQ Cinnamon. Very happy with the results but watch the bend radius if your system is close to a back wall.

G

1 Like

Assuming you mean ‘EM field stuff’ is mains (50Hz) power, separation of ethernet from power cables depends a lot on the amp flow in the power cable, the current flows we have in domestic situations is considered insignificant.
Previous regulations on separation was only required with parallel runs greater than 15m. The latest rev of EN 50174-2 says single phase 230V and <32A and if there is no strong source of EMI nearby (i.e. typical home environment as opposed to a data centre) - then no separation is required between power and IT/ethernet wiring.
The old regulations regarding separation for <15m runs of cables not themselves separated by metal trunking is:
Unscreened power & unscreened ethernet 20cm
Unscreened power & screened ethernet 5cm
Screened power & unscreened ethernet 2cm
Screened power & screened ethernet 0cm

1 Like

It might be sooner than you expect! Personally very happy with nDAC and Ethernet just controls my Innuos and I can disconnect once I’ve queued music (4GB Ram buffer).

1 Like

I bought Blue Jeans Cat5e. Have I made a mistake? Should it have been 6e? What difference would there be do you think?

It’s impossible to know, you have to try both to know which is better in your setup.

1 Like

I was hoping nobody would say that :wink:

1 Like

You could also try the Connectix Cable Systems patch leads, available from CPC Farnell. They are also tested / certified cables (Connectix still do a 100% test, but you don’t get a copy of the report unless you pay for them to print off a copy for you).

Personally I found their Cat 6 UTP to work very well, but that doesn’t mean anything in respect of your system!
(Incidentally there’s no such thing as Cat 6e - it’s Cat 6a; and unless you’re using 10G Ethernet, the main difference is that 6 is usually UTP, and 6a is usually SFTP.)

1 Like

In my system the 5e has a thinner, less detailed sound that is more in-speaker, together with less midrange texture and less bass extension. Both the 6 and 6a work much better in my system.

After all that in my system malarkey: I’d be curious to find if anyone finds they work worse in theirs…

I wrote 6e quickly without checking :frowning:

It sounds like I am going to have to order 6 or 6a :frowning: - will this never end. :slight_smile:

Well, heaven knows if it’s going to be relevant to you, but the 6a also sounds quite a bit better than the 6. I’m waiting for it settle in a bit before drawing any solid conclusions.

I’ve just ordered the 6a - fingers crossed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes