Blue Jeans Ethernet cables

No. I prefer cables that convey the sounds of classical and other “acoustic” instruments and voices accurately in my system. If a cable means a Steinway doesn’t sound like a Steinway any more, or the soundstage splatters the guitar’s notes across the room and there is no sense of it being an organic instrument any more, then I don’t care what the cable costs, it’s simply *******

1 Like

Cinnnamon are crap and expensive for what they do. But not really expensive…middle price i would say. And the majority of cables used in the forum are more on these two extremes.

You prefer the Belden Designacables, which are not expensive. Just that.

1 Like

Well, I gave a good many of them a blast and they certainly sounded interesting to me, but not musical.

While I agree with Xanthe’s repeated protestations about systems being different - and indeed installations, too - so we all have different RF problems, room acoustics etc. - there are enough similarities in Naim streaming solutions for there to be some points of comparison and interest.

The Ghent should be very good. Not dissimilar to the BJC Cat6a, using very similar Belden cables. But I hate the Metz plugs. Otherwise I’d have given them a go.

Which BJC are you trying 6 or 6a? Just out of interest?

Prefer them to the Vodkas yes, maybe not the BJC CAt6a.

I go with what sounds the best. If I thought the AudioQuests or the Wireworlds or the Sablons brought me closer to the music and what I hear live, I would have been quite happy with them.

I’m not impressed with cable thickness, spec, metal connectors, little boxes or anything for their own sake.

I have Cat 6a. I actually ordered Cat 6 but was sent Cat 6a instead, even after a confirmation e-mail. Not sure why but there you go, I’m not going to cry about it.

I will persevere and see what happens as I will be pleased if the BJC wins out. I’ll be quids in if it does.

1 Like

can you say a bit more about macrodetails and microdetails?
thanks
Jim

a few things about cables that change over time, which may (or may not) have an audible effect on SQ:

• they change temperature in accordance with the changes of temperature in your listening room
  • they have been shaken and slightly twisted or stressed as they have moved thru the product distribution system and installed in your hifi, so after that they get moved and stressed and twisted a lot less
  • this may be the first time electricity has run thru them

macrodetails: hearing individual instruments clearly so that stand out from the mix

microdetails: hearing changes in bowing and finger pressure or vibrato but also the rasping texture of a cello, the chest resonance of a mezzo soprano, the difference in tone between a Steinway and Bosendorfer

Yes - maybe I will try an expensive one at some point.
If it sounded signifcantly better I would be strongly tempted to buy it.

1 Like

Yes, this is how I see it. A bit like a Arcam system, it plays the music really well and is extraordinarily good value for money but there is no X-factor.

1 Like

Yes - now I see exactly what you mean.

I am enjoying mainly ECM recordings lately and other modern jazz that is recorded often live or in one take.

And the sounds of the drum skins, hi hats, cymbals and double bass strings and piano notes are a delight.

6a

There is for me in my system - transparency.

The music sounds distinctly clearer and cleaner since installing the BJ6a cables, and I can hear the tonality of the instruments better than when I had the really cheap/free cables.

But without giving up anything on timing or musical coherence.

3 Likes

To add my ethernet history & experiences to this, the ‘more sensible’ thread.

I have to agree with those who say you have hear cables for yourself in your own system, no system & its environment is the same & that is probably why everyone has different results & opinions.

I tried a few cables, real ethernet & ‘streaming’ types included. It was a few years ago now so not exactly current. Supra Cat7A, AQ Cinnamon & Pearl & a Chord ARAY type (not sure on model) .
I tried them on my NDX from the switch & my buddy did the same on his Linn KDS, we listened separately & both together, different opinions. what sounded best in one was not so in the other.
I decided that the difference was nothing exceptional & the expensive ones were not justified.

I was attracted to the engineering that MeiCord Cat-6 UTP offered & took a punt them between NAS-switch-NDX & that paid off with a better ‘sound’ than the Supra Cat-7A S/STP.

That was history, 2016 aprx, & before all this current madness started, but even then I had concluded its not just the cable, the equipment it’s used with does contribute.

I now have a BJC Cat-6 between wireless hub & switch. I’ve also tested it on the NDX branch to compare it with the MeiCord. I spent about 4 hours listening to very specific familiar tracks & found there is next to nothing between them, what is there is small & subtle; the MeiCord is richer with a hint more fullness in bass, BJC has a feeling of more air/presence. Anything else is indistinguishable or maybe just imagination.

Added f#factor is the BJC is back on its router to switch branch & it does have a small effect on NAS streaming & I interpret that as indicative (but not proof) that the whole system contributes to ethernet cable ‘sound’.

3 Likes

I have been comparing with Vodka on the end and BJC full loom. Perhaps if things were the other way round then my preferences may be different. For me the BJC from my switch to streamer lacks that WOW part that the Vodka gives.

If I consider the Cinnamon as expensive cables, the ratio will be 15 / 10. ( +2 preferring BJ vs Cinnamon). Do you prefer that ?

I have this same experience of the BJC cables.

1 Like

The DesignaCables may still have the edge on it in my system. The BJC Cat6a has nice layering, a bit like the Supra Cat8 but more out of the speaker, but I’m not sure about texture. Sometimes I don’t find them quite as involving as the DesignaCable. And they don’t plumb the same bass depths either. But that could be because I now have a second BJC Cat6a in the system that is still burning in.