Blue Note Records

I’ve never seen that title before @Nick1940 I’ll check it out though the organ isn’t my favourite sounding instrument. I do love Blue Mitchell though.

Thanks Andrea but misleading by the publishers.

41IjFIyRciL.SY471_BO1,204,203,200

Most interesting!

Joe Harley (Tone Poet) in conversation today with the excellent Michael Ludwigs (45rpm Audiophile).

Great to hear Coltrane’s ‘Blue Train’ will be getting a special Tone Poet release later this year.

1 Like

That is good news I have a Japanese copy, a Jazz at 33rpm and a 75th Anniversary the Japan issue is the best but I’m sure the Tone Poet will be a knockout I just love Lee Morgan’s playing it’s what first turned me on to him as an artist.

1 Like

@Premmyboy I’m actually going to take this over to the dedicated Blue Note thread rather than clog this thread up.

Of course you are correct Blue Train was Coltrane’s only Blue Note date as a leader so material for a box set is scant but perhaps both Mono and Stereo mixes, Alternate takes of which there are definitely at least two of Blue Train and one of Lazy Bird I’m certainly no expert so maybe other members who are bigger Coltrane fans no of more.

Hi Bob, yes I’m not an expert either.
I am lucky to have bought MMJ mono Blue Train when it came out so I’m probably ok unless they announce something extra special.
Prem.

You lucky, lucky so and so I’d love to own of those.

Blue Train (Alternate Take) Remastered 2003 Rudy Van Gelder Edition CD.

2 Likes

I recommend this documentary on blu-ray. Barcode 4052912971059. In focus stand Alfred Löwe alias Lion. There are many animated scenes from the beginnings of Blue Note.

3 Likes

Looks interesting @goldenman I’ll check it out.

Going right back to 1939 and the first ever Blue Note recording date

Blue Note 1-A Melancholy

Onto the Blue Note 7000 series and I post these for the historic value as though I do not dislike these particular records they are not records I’d listen to on a daily basis of course there are some Sidney Bechet titles that I do listen to occasionally he does a version of All of Me that is very, very good.

Following the recommendations on this thread, I picked up this today. Looking forward to dipping in…

3 Likes

I can’t find a copy for sale anywhere. Not streamed.
IMDb has a nice trailer.

I’ve just spent a pleasant couple of hours listening to this:

Not Blue Note, but Sonny Red.

2 Likes

Here you go, @Bobthebuilder, Sonny Red playing as a sideman on a Blue Note album, Donald Byrd’s Slow Drag. That ticks both boxes!

4 Likes

Oooooh @Clive now you’re talking I’ve never heard this until today and what a great line up and what a great record. Rarer than hens teeth on vinyl though this is exactly the type of record Joe Harley should be doing a Tone Poet on.

1 Like

Two more Donald Byrd, Sonny Red dates both new to me and both excellent.

3 Likes

I Got it Bad by Donald Byrd Ft Sonny Red, Hank Mobley, McCoy Tyner, Walter Booker & Freddie Waits.

El Dorado Ft Sonny Red, Hank Mobley, Cedar Walton, Walter Booker & Billy Higgins.

1 Like