Blue-sky Uniti Core wish

Bear with me, this will take a moment to explain.

Several years ago, I leaped onto the streaming bandwagon with the purchase of a Core and later an ND555. Over the course of at least a year, I ripped literally thousands of CDs and downloaded a considerable number of high-res releases as well as shared soundboards from my fave live bands. I spent not a small amount of time correcting metadata and adding missing cover art through the “Edit Metadata” function of the Core.

My QNAP NAS now holds a library that brings me considerable joy.

I am fortunate enough to have a vacation home at which I have installed a Uniti Nova and Dynaudio Heritage Special standmounts. I have cloned the QNAP NAS onto a second QNAP to serve the Nova. I am using MinimServe to access the QNAP.

But here’s the rub. None of the metadata edits that I made in the Core are readable by MinimServe. So despite all the time I took to make those edits, the browsing experience in the Naim app on the Nova system is something of a hash. Clearly this is a first-world problem, but my world would be improved if Naim created a software version of the Core server. Or at least if there was an off the shelf server product that could read Core metadata edits.

I’d welcome any thoughts. But again, this is not a question of burning urgency, just a blue-sky wish.

P.S. I very much enjoy the forum; thanks to everyone who contributes and to @Richard.Dane for his patience and good cheer.

1 Like

Take a look at the Melco version of Songkong; this can use the Naim proprietary metadata.

Look for this on the internet, there is more information on the Songkong pages.
Basically, the software is able to extract all the metadata from the Naim files and write it so that other software, such as minimserver, can use it.

1 Like

The problem lies with the way Naim CD rippers store metadata when using WAV. If you save the rips as FLAC the metadata is readable on non-Naim servers.
Previous Naim rippers allowed you to convert WAV to FLAC, which provided a solution, but bizarrely the Core doesn’t have this option.
Using a non-Naim converter doesn’t solve the problem - the exception being Songkong, as Robert mentions above. (This workaround was used by some before Melco adopted Songkong as a solution so I’m not sure that you need the Malco version?)

Thanks, Robert. I’ll give it a look.

Jim

And thanks, Chris, for your input.

This is all discussed in the Core thread in the FAQ. See @Lownote ’s post.

And I think that you do need SongKong for Melco these days, even if you didn’t need the Melco version before Melco came along!

Thanks, David. I figured I would hear from you.

I would just buy a second hand Uniti Core, new hard drive and backup from your main Core database?

I will be solving this issue soon.

We’ve recently inatalled a Core and discovered the same - spent some time one evening on iPad fixing various opera CD metadata (Unknown Artist - Core was unable to identify album). Realised that the Core only writes the added information into the naim JSON file and not the FLAC files.

So I’ll be writing some basic unix scripts to unpack JSON album and track details onto the FLAC files. This will, initially, take about the same time as replaying edits or locating correct metadata online. But will be reusable. Once the files have artist and title they can be run through the same metadata process as all our dbPowerAmp rips or downloads.

So a poor man’s SongKong.

1 Like

Great news!!! I look forward to your updates.

Yes… I have considered this. I have some logistical limitations, and there is the added cost. But not ruling it out. Thanks for the input.

1 Like

It sounds like the core is not suitable for your use case, perhaps you should consider better servers rather than shoe horning solutions?

I understand this feeling!

I started my ‘streaming journey’ in 2011 with a UnitiServe and over the next 10 years curated quite a nice library of cd rips and hi rez files. But mid-way I did have the UServe convert all to flac and then moved it to a QNAP server and then ultimately to a NUC running Roon.

The ‘killer app’ for me became Qobuz almost 2 years ago. At their yearly rate (which of course provides almost no comp. for musicians, but that’s for another thread), and excellent sound quality, I find myself turning to Qobuz even for albums already on my home server. It’s just that simple to use and of course is available on all your systems AND when traveling.

It doesn’t have the music you’ve curated from other sources, but for legacy cd’s and new music, I find it just “too easy” especially at that price. I enjoyed curating my 2 tb of files . . . getting the metadata just right and all the album art . . . it felt satisfying.

1 Like

Streaming innocent her, so if you rip in FLAC no problem?

I’ve never used a Core. With that caveat, on the UServe, the unit built what I would call ‘rudimentary’ metadata that was indeed readable by MinimServe, etc. I found myself nevertheless editing a lot of it. And the album art added by the UServe was pathetically small/low-res.

So I would not say “no problem” more like 1/2 to 3/4ths of a problem remaining.

Now if you use Roon, Roon can see that rudimentary Naim flac metadata and substitute its own, which kinda solves all those problems I mention.

1 Like

That’s right Lindsay.

1 Like

Yes. And No.

If the Core can identify the CD during ripping then metadata is put into the FLAC files when ripped. All good. The metadata is very basic but can be augmented easily via something like MusicBrainz Picard.

BUT if the Core can’t identify the CD it just puts “Unknown Artist”, “Unknown Album” into the tags.

If you subsequently manually add metadata to this album/tracks via the naim app the edits go into a “user” section of the meta.naim JSON file, and don’t reach the FLAC files.

It’s this scenario I’m going to solve with some basic Unix scripts.

1 Like

Just to say that I agree with that more nuanced reply to Lindsay’s question.

1 Like

Agreed. I’ve been using Qobuz for several years now, and yes, it’s the answer to a LOT of things, particularly new releases.

This is true from my experience. In fact I’ve had more than a few CDs that I ripped into FLAC files that did not accept metadata edits through the Core, including adding album cover art. Quite frustrating.