Blue sound node 2i

I bought one a couple of years ago. For the money, even new, it punches way over its weight. It has completely changed my listening habits, to the extent that, if I’m just listening to something casually - background music for cooking, reading, etc. - I’ll use the Node in preference to putting on the same piece of music on vinyl. I also buy fewer records because the Node allows me to answer the question “is this record worth the money and the shelf space?” A bonus: the BluOS software that comes with it is very good.

5 Likes

I have not heard the Node so sorry cant assist with your question, but I wonder which speakers you would play it through?

My current speakers are SpendorS6e a relatively older model bought new in 2005 £1599 at the time. They are a good all rounder but probably the weakest link in the chain now. I am going to keep them for now to see how everything settles in and sounds. I have money left in the budget if I need to change them.

I have a Node 2i running through a Qutest. While I haven’t compared other streamers I’m more than happy with this as a solution for casual listening and discovering new music. I agree with @Corry above in that it has prevented wasting money on vinyl. Vinyl does remain my main source and significantly outperforms the Node but then I’d hope so given the difference in cost. To be honest if I was starting out now I wouldn’t go down the vinyl money pit.

Also I get better value out of Qutest by running the Core and TV through it.

Also considering power supply upgrades as a relatively cheap upgrade. Only just started investigating that so also interested in other’s experiences.

4 Likes

I use the node 2i for streaming purposes also, it’s ideal for listening whilst cooking or eating dinner and is great with having a 5 year old and a 2 year old as we can easily put on all manner of Disney songs and alike or an impromptu disco for them to jump around to.

I’m considering a better dac such as the qutest, or a move to an nd5xs2 at some point in the future to take it up a level, but it’ll only ever be a second source to the lp12.

2 Likes

Node 2i was my first streamer. Then I bough Nd5xs and then NDS, but node is still there. I connected it to NDS with naim DC1 cable, I use NDS to play music from NAS and radio, node for tidal as can convert mqa files and other streaming services. I have to say that node himself can not be compared to nd5xs and of course nds, naim streamers have much more detail, musicality and full sound. NDS is really analogical sound rich and full. Anyway node as pure reader, with dac left to naim streamer, is good. One of the weak point of node is power supply, there’s plenty of upgrade available.

Damned with faint praise . The Node is way better than just something on in the background.
Just my opinion.

6 Likes

I agree, I think it’s an amazing little device for the money. It responds really well to all the normal tweaks I can throw at it. Mine runs through an Ndac/555DR into a 500 system and sounds every bit as good as my Core/DC1 feeding rips to the system. I will change it at some point but I just need to hear something better!

Even their amp is not so bad. I use Bluesound PowerNode (streamer + amp) for multi zone/background (ceiling speakers), but then I tried it as stereo with Dali speakers, turned out they are good enough to be my second system in my living room. Much better sound quality than my Sonos system/amp. I find their SQ is just a tad less below NAD (their older and bigger sibling).

However, as a multi room and background system, I find Sonos to be easier/user friendly and smoother interface among the components.

2 Likes

Go ahead with the node 2i, you won’t regret it. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed mine over the last three years running it through a Chord Mojo (getting that little bit extra with the Mojo). It’s been ultra reliable and stable and has worked flawlessly with Qobuz. The only thing I’ve heard that makes me want to upgrade is the NDX 2. As an introduction to streaming, I can’t think of a better first step.

1 Like

I had a Chromecast Audio in my system with an optical lead into my DAC and it worked well. When I got a Bluesound node 2 (not current model) there was a big improvement in sound quality but I only listen to Spotify which is not the best quality streaming. It works from my phone without any issues. Of course you can use bluetooth but it is much better connecting streamer to wi-fi.

1 Like

I run the Node 2i through a Heed Abacus dac into SN3.
It sounds very good.

I started this journey in the world of real Audio with a Node 2i, an awesome product. Just upgraded to the Node X. The difference in the X’s sound is incredible, but you will be very happy with either of these in your system.

1 Like

We’ve had a Node X on demo at home as a headphone amp. It is truly remarkable at its price point. From my perspective only one thing counts against it - the Uniti Atom Headphone Edition that my dealer also dropped off for comparison. Maybe not a fair comparison, but IMO probably the best units at their respective price points.

1 Like

I got a Node 3i just to play with (given the price). It’s fine for most things, even some serious listening: My dealer hooked one up as the front end of a high end amp and some equally high end speakers (probably about $15K in total value). It sounded fine.

It is not very good as a headphone amp if you need to drive low impedance headphones. I have DC Stealth which need more power than many headphone amps can provide, including the Atom (The Atom HE is excellent of course). You can use the node as a ‘phone amp, but you need to have sensitive and/or high impedance headphones.

The other weak point is the DAC. DAC technology has improved quite a bit over the last 4-5 years and just about any recent desk top DAC is much better than the node. Meaning that you can encounter distortion or tweeter hiss in some conditions. Simple solution is to use an up to date DAC. Topping for example, have a whole range of state of the art DACs for less than $200 to about $1000. But there are others.

The app software is very good - about in line with the Naim app - and has no problems with Tidal etc., and the downloads folder from my Core works well also. The Core music folder (where the ripped CDs go) is more problematic, as the node cannot access the meta data. With an NAS that problem should not exist.

You’ll find that the Node (130) and Node X have much better DAC performance than the Node 2i. But, the real solution is an external DAC as you mentioned that works well for you. This can also solve the headphone amp issue.

Are you using a separate DAC? Just trying to ascertain if the improvement to the X is just restricted to the DAC/headphone section or if there’s any improvement to the streamer? I have to say that my 2i with some tweaking sounds phenomenal.

No. I am not using a separate DAC. I am using the Node X’s DAC and the improvement in sound over the 2i (which I was using and enjoying for three years) is discernible.

I have a node 2i and indeed the app is great, is very fast and reads everything. Honestly I very much prefer the DAC conversion of naim streamers. It gives more detail and most of all it is much more analogical sound, Node 2i is a bit cold, rough and digital sounding in comparison.
Node 2i was my first streamer, than I moved to a ND5XS and later to a NDS, but Node remained. I found my sweet spot connecting node with a Naim DC1 coax cable to NDS, I use NDS to read files from NAS and play radios, Node for all different streaming services, mqa of tidal etc.
comparing same file read from nas directly from nds and node with nds as dac, still NDS full path is better.
comparing node straight to amplifier and NDS, well, not fair competition, very big difference
but with node you can play amazon music, qobuz, whatever you like

I’m still using the Node 2i as a bit safety valve against a sudden development in the market place. I’m not sure I want to chuck tons of cash at something that could be superseded in the next couple of years!

What I have done is spent some time optimising the Node’s SQ with the best support - my Fraim, a Naim modified power-lead, EE8 switch, BJC/Catsnake ethernet cable, DC1 coax, Ndac coupled to a 555DR power supply. I do have a Naim Core with all my ripped CD’s and what I am finding is that the Node is currently matching the SQ from the Core, which surprised me. The Core sounds a bit richer and more full-bodied but the Node gives a wider, slightly lighter and faster sound that, in my mind, sounds a little bit more real. Strange, as I was expecting the Core set-up to blitz the Node. On top of this you have functionality of the Node’s interface vs. Naim’s, which still drives me slightly nuts.

As I’ve said previously, it’s astonishing little device for the money and is giving me time to adapt to streaming and fully assess what’s happening with the technology.

3 Likes