Blue tac

Blacktak - from the AX horn web site

1 Like

Well spotted is that March 1990 at the bottom RH corner?

Good point. Presumably Blu-Tac makes for less rigid coupling than a steel bolt though. I always wondered why the 505s were the only speaker I’ve heard of that are fixed to their stands. Perhaps it’s just to stop them from falling off rather than anything to do with sound quality.

Looks like 1990. There is an article on the site that says they gave away 27,000 packs with a magazine, doesn’t say which magazine though.

1 Like

What are the acrylic A4 boards you use under your shoe boxes?

Thanks, so something of a collector’s item, we now have provenance, I’d better not open the pack might reduce the value!

1 Like

Post awaiting approval - must have mentioned something I should not have. Have a look in the Chrome Bumper thread to get an idea.

1 Like

Just that. 8/10mm A4 black acrylic boards with polished edges that sit on 4 Deflex Audio Polipods. If your shoe boxes are in/on a side unit this will isolate any hum from the transformer and isolate the unit from any vibrations from the unit. Not a Frame but a LOT less expensive. I have my Rega Apollo -R, 32.5, 110, Nait2, Auralic Mini and non-Naim PSU all sitting on one.

1 Like

Thanks - will have a look for something similar :+1:

All available on a popular auction site😀.

1 Like

Will be first call there :+1::rofl:

Look out! 8 pack of feet is the same as 4 pack!!

Having a look at the acrylic sheeting - what thickness did you get (assume 10mm will be enough)?

I have 10mm and 8mm. I think the 8 looks better but it is up to you. Either is fine.

1 Like

On a similar note I remember a columnist in one of the hi-fi mags in the 80’s saying that painting the terminals on a standard UK plug fuse with some sort of purple highlighter pen improved the sound quality. I never did try it :joy:

1 Like

My old Dynaudio C1’s had threaded inserts in the bottom to bolt to the stand 4’s. I believe the new Dyn Contours and Confidence standmounts also bolt to the stands.

It’s been a long time since I’ve had standmounts, but when I did, it amazed me that they were never knocked off the stands. I even contemplated drilling the stands so that I could screw the speakers on, which would not have been difficult.

Oh yeah, just remembered my Sopra 1’s were bolted to the stands too.

I wonder if it was Peter Belt, the man who claimed that sticking small pieces of foil around a room, had a similar effect…naturally he could sell you the foil.

That name does ring a bell now you mention it