Blues Artists and Recommendations

A further thought. If you stream radio, try Aardvark Blues. A good source of inspiration.

4 Likes

For “Modern Blues”, Eric Bibb takes some beating
Blues People is an amazing album and also very well recorded.

Saw him live in a very intimate venue, Sheldonian Theatre, Oxford. One of the greatest gigs I have been to.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ve lots of Eric Bibb whom I like very much.

G

Mind you, for absolute authenticity perhaps the grand daddy of them all is Charlie (Charley) Patton although he didn’t record until 1929.

Bessie Smith and Ma Rainey sang on wax / shellac in 1923 and for instrumental guitar blues look up Sylvester Weaver also 1923. These are “vaudeville” style blues artists.

Delta blues on shellac kicks in about 1925 with Freddie Spruell and Blind Lemon Jefferson. a lot of “country” blues artists record in the 1930s. Then in the late 30s and 40s the Blues evolves, electrifies and moves to Chicago.

The 20s and early 30’s is the blues in its purest form. Not always easy listening, but it’s the fountainhead from which a hell of a lot of 20th Century popular music sprang and we owe those pioneers a debt of gratitude.

3 Likes

BB King and this is a good an introduction as any beofre going back to his early stuff.

5 Likes

He is amazing !

In 1975 Paul and Linda McCartney hosted a private party on the Queen Mary which is moored in Long Beach, CA, with Professor Longhair performing. (it’s on Qobuz).
live-on-qm

2 Likes

And Peter Green’s later solo and Splinter Group albums are brilliant.

Peter Green - The Robert Johnson Songbook (1998)

2 Likes

Rory Block is a long-time student of the blues and produced a “Mentor Series” of six albums each as a tribute to old blues artists she actually met. They were Son House, Fred McDowell, Reverend Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt, Skip James, and Bukka White. I have most/all of these.
see [6 Time Blues Music Award Winner | Rory Block](https://www.roryblock dot com/cd-s)

She has subsequently made several albums dedicated to “Power Women of the Blues”.

All the albums are on Qobuz.

3 Likes

I’d add Mighty Mo Rodger’s

Award winning blues album from around turn of the century. I believe he even used to teach the Blues ….

4 Likes

I’m loving Rory Block, especially her Last Fair Deal album.

@ChifChaf Mighty Mo Rodgers is good too. He’s a bit Keb Mo’ don’t you think?

1 Like

Yes it is a great album - the one that introduced me to Rory Block.

Big fan of Keb’ Mo’ too - another of the modern blues artists like Joe Bonamassa (in different styles).

1 Like

kind of… always struck me how ‘polished’ they both are.

Can also recommend this gem…….

1 Like

Thanks for continuing to post recommendations folks.

G

I think you have lots of great suggestions to keep you going for a while.

1 Like

Released today
Forever On My Mind by Son House (2022)
in 24/96 hi-res on Qobuz

6 Likes

One of my favourites is Philadelphia Jerry Ricks - Empty Bottle Blues.
Recorded in Hungary, stripped back acoustic, just him and guitar. From memory it was recommended by one of the hi-fi manufacturers, Roksan perhaps?

While looking for the cover, I found this site which has a massive amount of info of Blues and similar artists, including YouTube links where possible to listen; https://www.wirz.de/music/america.htm,

1 Like

Great topic. Rory Block added to my playlist. :slightly_smiling_face:

Taj Mahal - Going Home is great but only available on Vinyl.

1 Like

Enjoying this one.

Thanks

G

1 Like

New to me and wonderful. I’ll definitely be exploring more of Doug MacLeod.

Thanks

G

Drifting to more modern players I love Rory Gallagher. I listen to him weekly, and almost daily.

3 Likes