Bluesound Node 2 to NDX? Risky?

To my lugs the Node streamer is on par with the 272 streamer if you use the Node into the 272 DAC with local NAS files set to FLAC no transcode from Minimserver.

Things change slightly when you transcode FLAC to WAV to the 272.

I try not to fill my head with all these reviews and trust my ears.

3 Likes

Que?

Qobuz HiRes via the Node into the 272 left the local WAV files behind.

I have since introduced BubbleUPNP to my setup and now streaming Qobuz in WAV to the 272 and this is a game changer.

If the Node and the 272 are ‘on a par’ then why spend £500 on the Node?

Initially for Amazon HD then switched to Qobuz and as you know the 272 does not support this.

On Minimserver server you can transcode FLAC to WAV this saves the 272 processing this conversion.

Yes, but how about either Qobuz or Tidal at any res on the Node vs native Tidal on the 272?

That’s the web streaming comparison of apples with apples.

I just did it and the 272 streamer won hands down.

Your comparison has too many variables to judge what’s causing what?

Yes, but we both know Qobuz sounds far better into the 272 via Bubble/Kazoo than via the Node.

Put it this way Jim I always preferred local FLAC NAS files transcoded to WAV into the 272 over Tidal using the 272.

That’s fine, and a very common finding.

I only wish I had a digital library and a NAS and I’m sure I’d agree with you on that.

As you know, I’m focussed on web streaming now, so I compared Qobuz and Tidal via the Node vs native Tidal on the 272.

What I have found and many others using Naim gen 1 streamers if you transcode to WAV this saves this process on the sreamer and lifts the quality.

Why not install Minimserver server on your laptop, rip a handful of familiar albums stream FLAC to the 272 then turn on transcode.

I have been sending Qobuz and Tidal files transcoded to WAV format to the 272 this very week successfully for the first time ever using Kazoo and Bubble upnp server.

It sounded very good.

As discussed elsewhere, I hope to get that stablized from an IT pov soon.

1 Like

Especially with BubbleUPNP transcode to WAV

1 Like

Yes, indeed!

It’s all good on the hifi front just now.

Just installed 2 more isolation shelves and 2 marble ‘Living Voice’ plinths under my speakers last night, and I am in a state of audio rapture (also slightly hungover again)!

Drinking during the week again Jim but if the music is flowing it’s an easy trap to fall into :grin:

Yes - how else will I stay fat?

1 Like

Hi Jim, I used to be satisfied by BS2 when I had the SN2. Now I’m still satisfied by the App stability but less by the sound quality.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for clarifying that.

Yes, thanks for the tip re checking my ports are enabled on the :computer:

1 Like