Boenicke W5 SE+: New toys arrived

What they have achieved is to make the speakers disappear completely in the sound stage.

1 Like

I would be very interested to hear them some time. I see there are dealers in Utrecht & Alkmaar, I might pop in to one of them if I’m ever in the vicinity with time to spare.

1 Like

I got mine from the dealer in Utrecht. Can highly recommend them. Never experienced their level of customer care from anyone in any industry before.

1 Like

The bass from these diminutive speakers is quite remarkable. I have the W5SE in Ash. They can fill a bigger room than you might expect.

2 Likes

So now trying out a set of MIT EVO TWO speaker cable. It is a pre-loved set that I can keep if I like it. They look the same as the EVO THREE but vastly different in sound. Definitely a huge increase in detail and soundstage. But still contemplating if they are not too bright. Will need another day to let it sink in.

Oh yeah, agreed! I cannot imagine a room I will be living in over here where they will not be more than enough.

So after a lot of testing I figured out that I was advised to connect the MIT cables the wrong way around :smile:

Got confirmed by my dealer who apologised. In their defense it can be rather confusing as the interface box with Speaker Interface written on it is closest to the amp section and you need to see the fineprint on the cable terminators to figure it out.

I was wondering why the EVO TWO was sounding rather horrible in the high end and now I know. Turned it around and the sound is incredible!

And after testing it with the correct direction I have decided to go for the MIT EVO THREE cable. The TWO is clearly better in excellent recordings but too revealing in the rest leading to too much brightness that is hard to listen to for long. The W5 can be pretty punishing in that area and the EVO THREE seems to strike the perfect balance between all types of recordings.

From what I have heard at dealers, W5 could be candidates for a small apartment we are currently looking for. My dealer has a terrible habit of cranking the volume up and the demo room is huge. How do you find them at low volumes?

I am happy with them at all volume levels. You can also experiment with pointing the woofers inwards or outwards to see what that does in your space.

As you have heard they can hold their own in a large demo room and in a small(er) room the results are certainly as good, IMO.

You have to be careful with cable matching and such in a room that that does not have sound panels (like dealer demo rooms) as the high end can become pretty punishing with bright cables then.

Will the dealer let you demo the speakers at home? Mine let me listen to them at home for almost a week. That way you can get a pretty good idea.

Thanks for that. We are still looking for an apartment so it will probably be a while yet. The system wont have to perform at the highest levels and wont be heavily optimised but it does need to be pleasant to listen to at low to moderate volumes, in a smallish room. I have lengths of A5 and expect to have Phantom surplus to requirements so I would really want to stick with one of those - preferably the A5 since I have shorter lengths which would likely be more suitable. I’m pretty sure I will be able to demo for a reasonable period.

It’s a pleasure.

I don’t have any A5 but what I understand from it is that it is a very stiff cable. Which is pretty much the last thing you want for the W5. They and the stands they are mounted on are designed to move around. If you see videos of the W5 on the desktop spring feet they actually dance around. So you will need a cable that can flex and move with or it will detract from the sound quality. The Boenicke cables themselves are of course designed for this but I tested the S1 and found it too bright for my tastes.

Another thing I forgot to mention, they need to be quite a ways away from the wall with the rear firing tweeters for best results.

1 Like

So just brought home my own set of MIT EVO Three. Let the burn-in begin.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.