Boiler Upgrade Scheme (UK) - £5k grant revoked

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

@BobbyYork, How is the work going to add an extra ASHP to replace your storage heaters?

Hopefully the worse of the cold weather is behind us. I now have my 6.3kWp solar+ battery (2 x 10kWhs). Very pleased particularly as we have had 245kWh DC in February. It provides the extra energy to compensate for the cold snaps.

I’ve turned on the radiators everywhere which helps keep the compressor running longer and improves the efficiency. Not sure what make your new pump will be. I was not given enough monitoring by my installer and consequently didn’t get it running as well as it could until just recently.

Phil

Hi Phil,

The second heat pump is in along with a new 250l DHW heat exchange cylinder to replace the old immersion tank (previously our only source of DHW).

Work is continuing to install wet radiators, with one zone (top floor, four radiators), hoping to be the first on line in the coming week or two.

The next stage is to sort out zone 2, first floor, which requires us to install 6 new wet radiators and reroute 3 existing (which are currently running off the first heat pump).

When we’re finished, we’ll have three zones (one for each each floor of the house). The ground floor (which includes 2 large areas of underfloor heating and 6 radiators) powered by heat pump 1, the two upper floors (13 radiators) and DHW from heat pump 2. In reality, I think we’ll be lucky to get that all done by the end of summer this year.

As for the solar, we had issues with our inverter going offline, meaning that I could not monitor the generated solar and that my batteries were sitting idle. Most frustrating, but now seemingly fine - to be fair the installers put a lot of time and effort into it, including swapping the inverter out for a replacement at one point. Teething problems I think, possibly exacerbated because it is a domestic 3-phase inverter which seem a little less common.

Looking at the app today, it seems we have generated 300kW in February so far (8kW array), but I am not sure how much I trust the numbers on the app. My battery capacity is 13kW and I charge them fully overnight and use during the day, but at this time of year, they are depleted by mid morning. Still worth it, but maybe in time I will look to increase battery capacity. I also charge my car overnight - won’t it be nice if/when we can use those big batteries in a two way fashion to support the house needs…?

Thank you for the tip regarding the radiators. Once everything is fully up and running, I will look at my options for trying to maximise efficiency. I suspect this will likely require better monitoring ability.

Sorry for the long rambling response, but thanks for asking.

Bobby

1 Like

The new heat pump is to convert the rest of the house (and on a completely separate system to the existing heat pump), but OFGEM seem to be interpreting the regulations such that a grant can only be awarded if new heat pump is for the whole property and replaces all of the existing heating system in the whole property. From my reading of the regulations, it seems that such an interpretation is not necessary (but I’m not an expert)

From my experience with all this, as i do fit this stuff.
Above is the stumbling block, and i would be very surprised if they change there mind over it

Not sure what make of ASHPs, battery and Solar you have. I have a Midea 12 kW ASHP and SolarEdge Inverter + Battery (2 x 10kWh).

The important thing about the ASHP is to ensure the compressor operates continuously at the lowest temperature that warms the house sufficiently. Until you understand your system/house it is best to not use the the TRVs or time controls. I can’t overemphasise the importance of at least being able to monitor the power and energy consumption of each ASHP. If they cycle (compressor stops running) the power will drop to a low level. At a leaving water temperature (LWT) of 40c a COP of about 4 is achievable. Additional monitoring of the LWT a RWT (returning) is usually provided by the ASHP. A difference of 5C is usual for stable operation.

Phil