Bookshelf Speakers for Unitiqute & Nap 100

Hi … I’m new to the forum and need help. I bought a NAP100 to add some power to my Unitiqute and now I want/need to improve my bookshelf speakers. I prefer a secondhand route not least due to budget limitations and Ive seen 4 possible contenders, but I’m not sure which is the best for my setup, nor the original cost of each (their all slightly over the £500 mark secondhand).

PMC twenty.21 . (i like the front port)
PMC TB2i
Proac Responce 1 S
Spendor SA1 (I recognise limitations vis a vis Bass which is important, but a small sub is available)

Any thoughts about the above and any other considerations around the same seconhand price.

Many Thanks to you all.

I’m normally a B&W person but have you considered KEF LS50, they’d definitely be on my list. I’d personally look at Dynaudio too.

Hi Loki,
Could you let us know where you want to position the speakers in the room, and also the size of your room?
We use PMC DB1i speakers mounted on the back wall via PMC’s own wall brackets. They really are staggeringly good for near field listening with a DAC-V1 and NAP140 (it’s an office system).

We also have PMC TB2i in the family but these need to be on their own stands, circa 0.5m+ away from a back wall. They fill a large room surprisingly well when so positioned.

Best regards, BF

I use the PMC Twenty 21’s with my UnitiQute and really enjoy them.

The front port allowed me to place the right at the back of my study desk, against the wall.

But as always, it’ll pay to listen before settling on a final choice.

KR, J

Thanks for your input. They are going in my bungalow in Spain, its an open plan space of circa 15m x 10m with tiles on the floor which I hope will improve the acoustics? Are the DB1i a better speaker than the TB2i … I used my unitqute in my UK bedroom with n-sats on n-sat stands, but I did not believe it would have the power, hence the NAP100 and upgrade speakers. I own quality stands for bookshelf speakers already.

My biggest issue is bass, given that I like all genres including some fairly bass heavy music and in general bass can be in short demand on bookshelf, so I am particularly keen on getting the best bass without going down the sub route?

Thats very useful as I was wondering if the little bookshelves would have the power. You know I’ve spent a fortune on secondhand hifi and never yet listened before buying and so far (touch wood) I have always been blown away with the upgrades … I always buy Naim, albeit my mains system is driven by Royd Reference ones (RR1). Best wishes

If you lots of bass and also have a room of that size, I would definitely NOT go for the DB1i, as it will simply run out of puff at higher volumes. The TB2i is its big brother and is far better suited to a larger room and/or higher volumes with lots of bass. In fact, this is the very reason that we have a pair of each in the family, rather than 2 pairs of DB1i.

You could go even bigger than the TB2i, to something like the OB1i but you will then need an amplifier with more power & control than the NAP100. And so the upgrade path begins…

Hope this helps, BF

Many thanks for further very useful input. I hear what you say about the possibility of more power. But I’ve only just bought the NAP100 for the purpose and anyway, although the bungalows detached, the neighbours are very close. So I am not sure more power is good idea?

I think I’ll try and buy the TBi’s and perhaps get a quality petit discreet sub that i can tuck out the way … Kind `regards, Phil

Thanks for the input but I’m not sure the kef’s would have enough power? Dynaudio are very good speakers but i have not seen anything secondhand at the right price, i.e, under a grand.

I dont know used prices but my Dynaudio X12s do quite well with my UnitiQute2/NAP100 combo. Any Dynaudios in that size range should be pretty good. I’ve even resisted adding a subwoofer; haven’t really felt it necessary.

STOP PRESS - has anyone any experience of the PMC Twenty.23’s floor-standers? I did not really want floor-standers due to room space and van space transporting them to Spain. But I have seen a pair secondhand and I understand that they are as compact as floor-standers come … any thoughts with regards to the performance in comparison to the other speakers mentioned. Regardsx

Neat Momentum SX3i … Neat and Naim always a good match

I owned Neat Petites v1 and loved the sound with naim … great for a small room. I have never come across the Neat Momentums and after a quick look it seems @ £2k the SX3i is twice my budget and the the 3i is only a few hundred quid?

I’m surprised, given that the Dynaudio x12 would be a contender given the low secondhand value. As my budget is circa £1k secondhand I think maybe that I could do better, but perhaps I should buy a pair and save my money?

I owned Neat Petites v1 and loved the sound with naim … great for a small room. I have never come across the Neat Momentums and after a quick look it seems @ £2k the SX3i is twice my budget and the the 3i is only a few hundred quid?

They work for me, but who knows if they work for you in your space and your own preferences. Buying speakers unheard is tough.

I use PMC Twenty 23’s with my main system, again I have found them excellent, easy to drive and a delight to listen to.

HH also spoke highly of then in a previous system config.

KR, J

Yes I looked at the twenty.23 and thought they would be very suitable speakers and a pair just sold for a good price on the bay.

But while may be compact they are still floorstanders and I have very limited transit space driving to Spain. Anyway, I bought a pair of new old stock Neat Momentum 3i (with a 30 month warranty) for less than half price today.

I sold a pair of Neat Petite’s last year which I owned for 8 years so I have a soft spot for Neat/Naim combinations. I’m happy enough with my choice, so alls well.

So I finally bought a pair of new old stock Neat Momentum 3i (with a 30 month warranty) for less than half price today.

I sold a pair of Neat Petite’s last year which I owned for 8 years so I have a soft spot for Neat/Naim combinations, so I’m very pleased.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.