Bored so I've ordered a Townshend Audio Allegri+ Pre Amp

I paid a lot less than that so, for that price, IMHO it was a no-brainer.

1 Like

Naim make excellent preamps.
And they used to make an excellent streaming preamp.

Hello FR, the Allegri is an autotransformer design so not the standard passive pre which explains its performance. Agreed that the lack of remote can be an issue and it’s price/performance can irritate if someone has dropped quite a lot of ££ on a traditional pre …
Hifi critics uses it but they are not the only ones, B&W and Magico too …

The only thing I use the remote for is to switch the power amps on… I set the volume at the start of the album using the knob on the front of the Bartok and that’s pretty much it. My hifi days stem from when you used to get up every 22 mins to flip the vinyl so I’m okay with adjusting the volume every 45-60 mins when I choose the next album :wink: Heck these youngsters… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can assure you all that the A+ isn’t anemic.
I had Sue on the phone Monday to see how they were doing and coping with the situation. I understood that they were overwhelmed with orders as boredom and compulsion of the confined is bringing them much more business that expected. Maybe an explanation for them not being quick in responding to queries.

2 Likes

Sue (and John) has been on the ball with her replies and order progress emails. Can’t fault the company. Under the current working conditions, where suppliers are quoting extended delays to manufacturers, I have no issues with waiting a couple of extra weeks. In fact I’m happy to support and help keep the small companies going during these difficult times.

1 Like

Steve; I was just addressing Tony’s earlier comment. Cheers -

Sorry… I wasn’t criticizing your comment. I was agreeing with you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hope it all works out for you and will be interesting to see how it goes, just leaving that Bartok volume at max is going to make a nice difference to sound quality

1 Like

No worries Steve - we share the same views indeed. Cheers - :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found them very helpful when I contacted for help with my Allegri, they loaned me a set of Fractal interconnects, which they made up to my exact requirements, offered lots of advice, and generally couldn’t have been more accommodating. Give them a call.

2 Likes

They’ve offered me a really good deal on some interconnects as compensation for the delay…

They were very accommodating and assembled for me a pair of F1 Fractal RCA to XLR to connect the A+ to my 300.

1 Like

I had exactly the same experience with Townsend before I purchased my NAC552DR. I too sent an email asking for dealers so that I could demo one, but received no reply. One wonders how they’re still in business with this attitude to customer service.

1 Like

I always take the view if they cannot be bothered to chase up a potential sale, then chances are they will be difficult to deal with when things wrong…so they get one chance only.

4 Likes

I tend to agree but I can honestly say I’ve got this same response (or lack of) from multiple HiFi companies and more than one dealer. It’s not uncommon. :frowning:

2 Likes

Yes, that’s my attitude too Gazza, one shot at it only, then they’re out if I don’t get a reply.

1 Like

I rang them before the lock down, and it was all i could do to stop them from sending me a demo unit to try! The lack of remote does put me off a bit, since i am now rather used to ‘swiping a dot’ across the bottom of a screen!

Icon 4 does have remote and Martin Columns seems to like that one too, just not quite so much.

Never heard one in a Naim system for myself but may be temped to try in a non covid future.

Townshend does make passive models with balanced in and outs. The DC47 for instance, but its a lot more money than the Allegri+. Max describes the DC47 as a no holds barred Allegri+ on steroids. I agree.

So you like it? Do you find it enough dynamic with the Linn amps?

1 Like