Boring Speaker Question

Hi there, do give Dynaudio Contour 20’s a listen. Mated to my Nova in a similar room shape to yours (21 x 13ft) they are outstanding. Require a tad more distance from back (mine are around 400mm), but produce stunning sound including a great bass depth! Perhaps a little more than your indicated budget but worth a listen!

Yes, I’d venture to say that Neat could improve the footing design. I’ve had reservations on that since the day I saw them. If they do, they’d probably have to prepare a retrofit kit for current owners which wouldn’t be easy either.

Thanks Peter for the message unfortunately 400mm rear of speaker to wall is not an option.

200mm is about as much as I can get away with without a divorce. Can’t afford that!!!

Trevor

David.

Cant see them doing that. As a hifi design it works, from a practical view not so clever.

Going back to the sound I have spent the last couple of days using my LP12 to test the speakers. I can’t put my finger on it but something just doesn’t seem to work. They are just not doing it for me. Nothing dramatic but the synergy seems to have gone. I think I need to try something else to see if this repeats or whether its a tonal variance between digital and analogue. Probably try a pair of Spendor A7.
Watch this space.

Trevor

1 Like

Have you thought of SBLs? Live by the wall. Only £700 or so. With the money saved swap the 202 and 200 for a 282 and 250DR.

Goodness, that’s a disappointment! In that case, you won’t have to worry about the stability question. Also think that the Dynaudios are not really an option if they’re rear-ported. Tough job, finding speakers that work properly in one’s listening space. Hope you’re able to identify a proper solution soon. Brgds.

Hi

I have already tried SBL before the Focals. Couldn’t get them to work, Always bright and hard. Dealer tried as well. They just wouldn’t perform.

Thanks Trevpr

Sorry, I remember you saying that previously, now you’ve reminded me. That’s the trouble with these tall and thin speakers - they are simply not compatible with children or bouncy dogs.

David

I need to talk with my dealer to try and understand the variation. I am thinking tonally the turntable has totally different characteristics. The one think that is consistently good is the bass. Always controlled and solid. The turntable sounds hollow don’t know how else to describe it. Sometimes bloated even.

Trevor

1 Like

All

Update on Neat Speakers.

What a nightmare this is selecting speakers. Contacted my dealer to discuss my findings on the Neat and he suggested trying Spendor A7 as they are totally opposite on the sound type spectrum.

Oh my god, some albums that were not good on the Neat sound pretty good on the Spendor and some that sounded good on the Neat sound poor on the Spendor.

If anybody has Dusty Springfield in Memphis or Clifford T Ward Mantlepieces on vinyl please let me know what they sound like on your system. Awful on mine with either speaker.

What I have realised is that in my application the Neat top end is sweeter due to the ribbon tweeter and definitely more revealing. The bottom end is much tighter on the Neat. The soundstage is wider and deeper on the Neat but imaging is better on the Spendor, the Spendor also sound more solid.

What I have also realised that is that cd sound quality is consistently better on the Neats.

In my application and a side by side comparison on balance I had to go with Neat. My wife agreed and she isn’t even a real music listener.

What I do think is that the Chord Signature speaker cable is not helping due to its silver content which add brightness. When the neats arrive and run in I am going to try Chord Epic which I believe is a slightly smoother cable than the Signature.

Neats now on order the rest is down to time and music playing. Hopefully I have got it right.

Watch this space.

All comments are my own and are not meant as a recommendation for any brand. Just what works for me.

Trevor

2 Likes

Hi Trevor, indeed perhaps a higher copper content speaker cable may help to smooth out the Ekstras. It’s a shame that finding the right combo requires so much effort. I guess that’s why I’ve been avoiding it for so long. And now we’re all confined at home here in France…Brgds.

I think it would be worth trying Naim’s NACA5 cable. It’s the prefect match for Naim. Your dealer should be able to lend you a set.

1 Like

I upgraded from Chord Epic to Signature XL. The Signature XL is smoother in the treble than the Epic which in comparison shows slight harshness and sibilance. However, the Epic is fuller sounding than the Signature XL and has significantly increased bass output which masks the fine detail in the mid bass and midrange. If you want deep punchy bass the Epic is a good choice , better than NACA5 and Signature XL. The Signature XL’s bass quality is much leaner and tauter which to my ears a more accurate reproduction of bass.

Is your Chord Signature the older version or latest XL? The Signature XL is not a bright sounding cable. It is smoother than the Epic.

1 Like

How much space do you have between the speakers and side walls? The perceived brightness can largely be due to room acoustics and placement of speakers in the room.

Hi

My Chord Signature is the old version

Trevor

Hi

I have 200mm at the rear and at least 300mm each side to the nearest item (Furniture not wall)

Trevor

Hi, thanks for the update. I’m not familiar with Neat speakers but 300mm clear space at the side appear to be rather tight for most speakers. I usually try to place the speakers so that they have about 500 to 600mm from the side walls although the size of the room is usually a factor.

Perhaps experiment by pushing the speakers slightly closer together and reduce toe-in? Instead of 2.2m apart, try 2.0m or 1.9m apart?

I tried Chord Signature (original version) in my Naim system and found it too ‘forward’ sounding accentuating the treble and creating too much sibilance on vocals. Ultimately I returned to Naca5 as a copper cable is a better balance in my system than silver/copper combinations. However I’ve heard that the newer Chord cables are less ‘bright’.

Hi I don’t find the Signature forward with the Neats, the treble is not bright because of the ribbon tweeter but there is sibilance on some albums.

Thanks.

I’m using Kudos speakers where the Seas Crescendo tweeter is known to be a little ‘hot’ compared to other speakers hence I guess it’s the balance of an entire system which ultimately counts (source included).

1 Like