Boxing, weightlifting and modern pentathlon all dropped from the Olympics

Sadly I believe you are right, it’s too late. Hence why it no longer holds any interest for me.

The Olympics remained amateur until the 70s and it brought people and nations together who were otherwise at odds politically and socially. Now it’s just a huge, corrupt (and corrupting), money making machine, who think nothing of evicting thousands from their homes to build massive stadiums for 5 minutes of limelight, subsequently left to ruin. The Olympic committee seemingly in league or in denial.

It’s worse than the profesional equivalents of individual disciplines as their individual governing bodies generally seem to have better control (except perhaps cycling :joy:).

2 Likes

You could have shoe manufactures bid to provide all shoes, like MotoGP does for tyres. Lots of publicity for the "record breaking footwear! :+1:

1 Like

Can you imagine the diatribes about soulless soles?!

1 Like

Ok. Aussies and Hawaiians.

This was an interesting quick read:

https://www.rulesofsport.com/faq/can-professional-athletes-compete-in-the-olympics.html

1 Like

This is a slightly tongue-in-cheek blog I wrote back in 2015

1 Like

Can I just ask exactly where this story is being reported?

All I can see is reference to the three sports in question potentially being at risk. Not actually dropped.

Ahhh. Looks like most news agencies/media are reporting they are only ‘at risk’, until decision is made in 2023.

Bring back Tug-of-war and croquet

It’s ironic that when they allowed professional boxers in 2016, they didn’t get much interest from the pros as the earnings were too low and risk of injury affecting their pro career was too high.

How will surfing work if it’s held in a landlocked country?

Well the surfing events for Paris 2024 are actually being held in Tahiti, so not sure being landlocked will be too much of an issue…don’t forget there’s already the sailing events that require a coastal venue.

2 Likes

I got really excited until realised you’d written surfing…

Look out, look out, there’s…

…a Humphrey about?

Wracking my brains, but I don’t think the summer Olympics have ever been held in a landlocked country

Exactly! A Smurf called Humphrey! :crazy_face:

That’s cool. With surfing included, the Olympics can only go to countries with their own high tidal swells and/or those with vestiges of an Empire or colonisation scattered around the planet :slightly_smiling_face::rofl::sunglasses:

Gosh I don’t even remember a Smurf in the milk adverts, just a sneaky straw!

There’s even one for @TheKevster

1 Like

I would like to make the case for Light Sabre duelling to be an Olympic Sport.

2 Likes