Brain Teasers are Back!

Assuming it was commissioned immediately after all the strikes at noon on 1 June 1770, then I make it the 9th chime at 10am on 4 September 2033.

I did use the cheat hint that you suggested!

2 Likes

Fantastic! I’ll set an alarm and get a cake! Great work.

3 Likes

Only another 10 years and 6 months, so no big rush just yet :sunglasses:

1 Like

Plane Travel

On a normal Thursday, 20 planes depart from Heathrow to fly to Germany and Italy in the ratio 4:1.

This Thursday (ie yesterday), being the Easter Weekend holiday, two additional flights departed on Thursday for Germany, and the ratio of Germany to Italy flights was 3:1.

How many additional flights departed for Italy this Thursday ?

Given the travel chaos elsewhere, we should give the Italians their due.

1 Like

Nicely done Ravvie, and no spoilers for late night browsers or our Southern cousins when their day breaks :sunglasses:

I make it 1.

Sorry Mike. You’re going to have to give it another shot this time !

I can’t be certain that Ravvie has got the correct answer, but the words in his post suggest he has. However, I don’t think his words will help. Nevertheless, the arithmetic is pretty straightforward.

1 Like

I’m with Ravvie.

1 Like

2 I think. I miss-read the ratios.

1 Like

Well done JR. Looks like you also read Ravvie’s respone the same way as I did.

Well done Mike.
I also found that I had to read the question very carefully.

1 Like

My Italian vocabulary is extremely limited, though luckily it includes being able to order chocolate ice creams for my two boys!

2 Likes

Toy Disposal

Henry has a lot of transport toys - 36 aeroplanes, 42 trains and 84 busses. He wants to give them all away to some friends so that they each receive precisely the same number of toys, but they each get only one form of transport eg aeroplanes, trains or busses but not a mixture. What is the least number of friends he can give the toys away to ?

My first thought is 27 friends getting 6 toys each - 6 get aeroplanes, 7 get trains, 14 get buses.

1 Like

Two extra.

Well done Gary. Spot-on.

A few familiar (and not-so-familiar) teasers to get the old grey-matter in shape for return to work tomorrow :sunglasses:

It takes two electricians nine days to rewire two identical houses.
How long will it take three electricians to rewire three of the same houses at the same rate ?

It takes four bakers 144 minutes to ice 72 cakes
How long will it take six bakers to ice 96 of these cakes at the same rate ?

And finally …

It takes five examiners 4 hours to mark 125 exam papers.
How long would it take eight examiners to mark 200 papers at the same rate ?

Enjoy the final day of the long weekend :sunglasses: