Brain Teasers are Back!

Good advice from Mrs R !!

Well done to both yourself and Mrs R.

First I did it Mike’s way, ie Trial & Terror !
Then I settled down and did it Mrs R’s way.

But the real teaser, to my mind, was grasping the actual question !

2 Likes

Freckles

We had afternoon tea with one of Mrs D’s friends this afternoon. Her friend has three young girls, Geraldine, Sherrie and Henrietta. They all look very much alike, with freckled faces.

The combined number of freckles on all three girls is 98. Geraldine has twice as many freckles as Sherrie, whllst Henrietta has twice as many freckles as Geraldine.

How many freckles does each of the girls have ?

1 Like

Hi Don,
it’s good to see that the teasers are still coming. With a new iPad in my hands accessing DiscourseHub is easy again.
As I always had a liking for freckles I think Sherrie has 14, Geraldine 28 and Henrietta 56.

2 Likes

Well done Mulberry. Exactly right !
Hope your new iPad is enjoyable to use. Mine is due for replacement soon !

1 Like

Those Ages Again :sunglasses:

Two of my daughters are Carole and Erica. (Not their real names)

Carole is older than Erica. The difference between their ages at the moment, is one third of their total ages. On her most recent birthday Erica was 10 years younger than Carole.

How old are Carole and Erica now ?

20 and 10?

1 Like

No need for the ‘?’ in your answer yogi.
Spot-on. Well done.

1 Like

Yogi did well to solve that Brain Teaser.

No doubt most forum members browsing this thread will have also solved it themselves, but for the benefit of any who might still be wondering how ? … i’ll provide a couple of possible avenues.

Here’s the first.

And the second.

I went from an early iPad mini to the current mini. The transition has been smooth so far, apart from a minor problem during setup. Due to the age of old iOS a single App couldn’t be synchronized, setting me back to level one in a free game.

1 Like

Ah! Mine is a mini-4, about 7 years old. It’s the battery that just doesn’t perform very well. So ok at home or when attached to a back up battery. But on its own, especially in cold weather, it’s a pain.
Another iPad Mini is on the cards.

1 Like

Mine is a mini 2. It’s battery is still fine, but the combination of iOS 12.5.7 and the old processor slows a noticeable number of applications down, while others like Discourse Hub and the picture search in Bing won’t work at all.

1 Like

I’ve avoided using Bing. Microsoft (and to be fair, Google) both seem determined to interrupt and impose ‘helpful’ changes to my computer settings almost every day !

When I still used MS Edge, the only thing I used Bing for was to search for Google.

Now I have switched to Google Chrome but MS still tries to “correct” my mistake.

1 Like

Same here - and i’ve just done it in order to get two windows opened in Google ! Progress !!

Afternoon Tea anyone ?

This afternoon Mrs D poured herself a mug of tea. Before she had time to add the milk (she likes milky tea, I don’t, I add less than a teaspoonful to a mug), the doorbell rang. It was her best friend (our neighbour) who needed help to sort out a recipe that had gone wrong.

Mrs D put the milk down without adding any to her tea, saying she’d add the milk and drink the tea when she got back in 10 minutes. I offered to add the milk there and then, but was sharply told “No!”, I want my tea to be as hot a possible when I drink it, so I’ll add the milk when I get back.

Assuming we would each have added the same amount of milk to her tea, was she right ?

PS. She’s told me umpteen times that she’s never wrong, so I need to be certain, and with a sound explanation if she is (joke, joke) wrong !!!

I think hot tea would lose its heat exponentially, so would lose more heat by leaving it black and therefore she should have put the milk in before she left. I’ll let you tell her :joy:

2 Likes

My initial reaction was that there is insufficient information, that is it depends. Heat loss is proportional to both surface area and temperature difference. I suppose a mug might have constant (or near constant) surface area, so the heat loss would slow down by putting the milk in first.

Mrs R just says “my school girl physics says putting milk in first will slow the heat loss”. I think Mrs R’s O-level answer is better than my A-level answer.

1 Like

Apparently Google is the most searched site from Bing.

1 Like

Hi Steve, Hi Ravvie,

I’m now pretty sure I was correct, and your responses (including the input from Mrs R) have basically confirmed that, despite Ravvie’s (very) slight reservation.

Am I going to explain all this to her ? That’s nowhere near being a Brain Teaser :sunglasses: