Brain Teasers are Back!

Nicely explained!

My solution is essentially the same:

• Start with 10:00 as a starting reference point.
  • Hour hand is 10 clicks before vertical; minute hand is at vertical.
  • Hour hand moves at 1/12th speed of minute hand.

Formula:

10 - m/12 = m

So m = 120/13 minutes = 9 minutes 14 seconds to nearest second

2 Likes

And of course the same principle can be used for the other times when the hands are inclined at equal angles, ie near 5 past 11, quarter past 9, etc etc.

1 Like

Well done Steve. And as Ravvie said, nicely explained.

Short and sweet Ravvie. Nicely done.

… and also when the time is just past ‘Ten to Two’

I recall browsing through my Mum’s mail order catalogue back in the early 1970s. I noticed all the watches were at about ten past ten. It forms a smile (sort of). It also looks a bit like a tick mark, unlike ten to two. I assumed both features were subliminal marketing tactics.

It amused me when digital watches became prevalent as nobody thought to tell the photographers to use a different time, so they dutifully and painstakingly set the time to 10.10.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you are right, Ravvie.

Typo or Gross Error …

Something isn’t right about the following sum. However, by adjusting or repositioning just one of the digits, you can generate an equation (or sum) that is definitely correct.

200 x 202 = 80,000

Move the first 2 from 202 and put it to the top right of the 200.
I can’t display it 100% correctly but it will be something like:-
200(squared) x 02 = 80,000

1 Like

I would say it’s a typo.

A gross error would be:

200 x 144 = 7,683,200

1 Like

Hi Steve, your solution definitely works - well done !

My solution is somewhat different, but follows a similar line of thought.

Nicely done Ravvie.

You have the same solution as I have !

I’m obviously being thick here - I don’t get it?

1 Like

It’s me being cryptic, playing with Don’s title for the teaser to give a similar erroneous formula with an equivalent correction to the one Don was thinking of.

A gross is 144.

1 Like

Hi Steve, it took me quite a while before it all ‘clicked’

Ravvie’s post is a “playful” teaser (IMHO).

It only took me a few seconds to modify his equation by re-positioning just one of his digits to give a correct equation. It helped that I used the same type of modification in my original teaser.

It was some time later that I noticed, and appreciated, his play on words to relate ‘gross’ with ‘144’. (nice one Ravvie).

Fortunately, you don’t need to know that 144 = 1 gross in order to solve Ravvie’s teaser.

BTW, your solution to my initial teaser is the first time i’ve seen it done that way. well done. Makes you unique :sunglasses:

Though it does help narrow it down (“Gross Error”)

1 Like

I can see that 200 x 20squared = 80,000 works; presumably that was Don’s answer.

1 Like

Agreed.

My “gross error” variation was similar, namely to change 144 to 14^4 (sorry, I can’t do superscripts on my phone).

1 Like

It certainly was Steve. But your answer was equally valid. Well done.