Bread

Oven Bottom Muffins. Go nice with pudding, chips and curry. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes i was amazed by that too in the states, we couldn’t find any decent bread apart from the super white/fluffy variety that was quite sugary and spongy…

Interesting brand, thanks.

1 Like

Yeah, you have to go to a bakery or a higher end/specialty market like Whole Foods, Sprout’s, TJs, etc, to get decent bread here. Most of the items in our large chain grocery stores should not likely be consumed by humans.

Good question. It varies a fair bit depending on availability. I’d need to go check. Tend to focus on buying from Sainsburys and Asda as their selection is pretty good. I’m also working my way through various gluten-free beers such as those from Greens. Mixed bag as with all these things but being as mine is an intolerance I can take the occasional risk with a one off actual beer.

Ooh, sound nice, this kind of thing?

1 Like

Yes, that’s them. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I partially ask as I’ve noticed in recent months that some mixed buns I’ve bought for some time (seeded/wholemeal/white pack of 6, 2 of each) and use for lunchtime snacks seem to make me feel extremely bloated very quickly.

Many food intolerances need to be excluded by abstinence/later reintroduction to see if symptoms improve/recur.

I’ve tried some gluten free white bread products in the canteen at work and most are dire in terms of taste/texture.

Wittevrouwenstraat 2 was the place we got bread when we were living in Utrecht. That’s over 5 years ago now, but the bread was quite good.

3 Likes

I don’t know about the bread - but there’s a great Railway Museum in Utrecht :steam_locomotive: :relieved:

2 Likes

Does the bread still come with a hole in the middle?
Apart from that I loved mine.

Been there when I was a young kid many times, and when I got my first kid in 2007, I’ve been there countless times. Yes, it is great.

1 Like

Exclusion and experimentation is what I’ve done. Things went very wrong after a Boxing Day meal out in 2019. I couldn’t take that level of pain, bloating etc. GP suggested tests we know aren’t 100% reliable and would require some gluten in my system over at least a month etc. No thank you. Easier to exclude completely then slowly build back. Took about 9 months to be definitive about it but so worth it. Was in lansoprazole. Not had any for 15 months now nor Gaviscon etc.

Can do the odd pastry, bar of chocolate etc. if I do them early in the day or no then I with other stuff. More recently I managed a pizza without a gluten-free base. Small amount of discomfort. Deep joy.

1 Like

Ah yes i’ve been there, it’s good yes!

That’s a stone’s throw from my home, i strolled passed it this afternoon on my way to the dentist :grimacing:

3 Likes

Ah wonderful - I was there on business a good 15 years ago I guess, and spent a spare afternoon there.

If you’re ever in York - the Railway Museum there is amazing :grinning:

That’s the one indeed. It was a bit of a Saturday routine. We lived first in the Vogelenbuurt and later in Wittevrouwen. My brother in law would love that flag :slight_smile:

1 Like

On one occasion my sourdough starter bubbled out and over the Sonos Connect. Luckily it went over the front and sides, not down the back. Still streaming fine although it is due for replacement.

3 Likes

We will need to visit York. I have been in the Catedral to visit the fantastic organ ( which will not get your foot tapping I realize ) but we’d like to go on holiday to Yorkshire somewhere in the future (my wife took English courses in Witby). Been there a few times, had a cousin living in Ripon.

1 Like

No Tulips, Windmills or Canals required for that to be about the most Dutch Picture I can imagine.

I lived in Leiden for a year or so - when working between Rotterdam and Amsterdam.

2 Likes

Naturalis