Bread

It’s right next to the canal so perhaps that will make it even better?

2 Likes

Nooo - but I know where that is! …it was just a convenient and quite pleasant place to live away from the distractions of Amsterdam and the Greyness of Rotterdam (although I grew to quite like Rotterdam)

Yes - the Minster (as the Cathedral is known) is pretty special. As is the one in Ripon also - although in a smaller scale.

So much History created by the Cistercians in Yorkshire - Fountains Abbey, Rievaulx Abbey (my favourite) that it’s a wonderful place to spend time. Great fish and chips in Whitby too - The Magpie Cafe being the legendary venue for those!

I could talk for hours on this!

2 Likes

Not a fan of supermarket cotton wool, so it was Hobbs House or more recently Waitrose (Morrisons in store baked was good, especially the wheat and rye, until the baker left).
Lock downs changed that, then dearly beloved’s blood sugars went haywire so I started looking at sliced to make portion control easier. Settled Waitrose oat and ancient grain.
When I can go shopping again I will get their grande loaf for the best toast. Lots of Lidl in store bakes are enjoyable, their sourdough boule is quite light and toasts well.

1 Like

Hobbs House stuff looks lovely.

Interesting to note the Morrison’s bread went worse when the baker left - implies skill, I’d assumed all the stores would have been using formulaic mixtures.

My blood sugars have also gone haywire during lockdown and it shows me how my normal gym/tennis routines keep it under control, but have been absent for most of the last year.

1 Like

Weird.

Hobbs House was very good, the contract loaves they sell through other shops still is. Sadly IMO television got in the way, fame interrupted, then they made so many changes in the local shop that I stopped going.
Managing diet on weekly deliveries was not at all easy. Multiple ailments and the associated medication really didn’t help. Getting back in control now.

1 Like

Yes the little paddle is still doing it’s job.

1 Like

I don’t each very much bread normally. We keep a sliced loaf of seeded wholemeal bread of some description (not always the same) in the freezer that does for the occasional slice of toast or cheese on toast or fried egg sandwich, or bruschetta with tomatoes and fresh basil (my favourite quick lunch in summer-autumn with home-grown tomatoes) etc. Otherwise we always have some Tesco part-baked (white) baguettes in the cupboard, able to prepare in about 10 mins for a nice fresh warm freshly baked baguette for filling, or perhaps slice first adding garlic butter and thyme or parsley before baking to make garlic bread.

If I do pick a loaf of bread to enjoy in its own right, one of my favourites is a white ‘tiger loaf’, but otherwise just a standard white crusty loaf - perfect thickly buttered with kielbasa (e.g. Krakowska or Zywieska) from the local ethnic supermarket, or transparently thin sliced Teruel ham …or I love it just with butter!

2 Likes

Coop ancient grains.
I find most supermarket brown seeded cut loaf better for toast. Try making a sandwich and they just fall apart in your hands. Except this one from the dear old coop when they have it.

2 Likes

I have baked bread for years.Quality bread and fillings,together with home made soup, often make up this old man’s diet. I only use Wessex Mill Flours. They are expensive but consistent and available locally. You are even told on the packing the grain and farm from which they are sourced.
I use a Panasonic but started with a Bosch oven,however the amount of steam required to get a good crust is not conducive to domestic oven life.
N

2 Likes

To eat their own.

1 Like

Although if all bread (indeed food in general) were additive free there might be a rise in the amount being thrown away and increases in cost and transport

1 Like

Same here, I find supermarket bread so bland, convenient but bland, some are better than others but still bland.

We have a Panasonic machine too, set the timer for 8am when we extract ourselves from the bed and that seems very convenient too, a small loaf lasts us a couple of days and is just so nice, I find it hard to recall eating better bread than that. I have no idea if it’s the machine or the recipe but it just works every time. A good bread knife and bingo!

1 Like

The only supermarket bread we buy is Sainsbury’s taste the difference multiseed loaf.

It’s very tasty and keeps well which probably means it has one too many preservatives in it.

For the rest of the time we use our Panasonic breadmaker.

3 Likes

Surely it simply means it has preservative in it, not that there is too much, or are there too many! (N.B. there is only one preservative permitted in bread in UK and EU.)

I cannot abide soft bread that rips when trying to spread with butter, the denser the better for me so always keep an eye out for Cranks loaf to put in the trolley when shopping. Handy to have if you ever need to construct a small wall around the house.

2 Likes

Another vote for the Panasonic. Haven’t bought a loaf in years with the exception of the flour shortage in the first lockdown.
Here’s todays effort.

6 Likes

And another. Half an hour yet till it’s cooled.
And then lunch.
Wessex Cobber flour.
N

N

3 Likes

Ah, I spot a good strawberry jam!

1 Like