Brilliant, cheap DACs give mullet systems a new credibility

So…speakers then? :wink:

2 Likes

That did occur to me…

1 Like

A source in general HiFi terminology is a device which provides a line level signal into an amplifier. A DAC clearly does that, whether it part of a streamer, a CD player, or standalone. So does a turntable, tuner or tape player.
All of the above devices have steps back up the chain that link them to the ultimate source, the musicians who create the music. LAN hardware, servers, digital and analogue storage devices, ADCs, mixing desks, microphones, etc. etc. Do you seriously consider any of these to be part of your HiFi system?

No, power supply - after all, that is the source of the elecrtocity that does the work

If we take this to the logical conclusion I shall be phoning EDF to insist they use only audiophile grade fissile material when generating my electricity.

2 Likes

Case in point, look at the old Naim forum. Everyone and their dog was using a Chord Hugo Mk1 headphone amp as a DAC into their 252 or even 552. I wasn’t personally taken with the Chord sound but many were and it wasn’t a passing fad. Went on for years.

Low cost high performance DACs do exist. I’ve certainly had my socks knocked off by several bits of hifi that just have no right to sound as good as they do at their price point.

But here’s what I’ve also learned: In general you get what you pay for. But sometimes there are exceptional items. However, it is very hard for any manufacturer to capture lightning in a bottle twice in a row.

3 Likes

Chris, no… I never said they were. Please point me to the part of my posts where I said this.
I stated the opposite in fact in my earlier post.

That digression would be my fault… sorry.

I’m more or less done with my Naim it just doesn’t get used. My Fiio M11 Plus dap is all I need and is so much better sounding. It lets me move from Room to Room works with Roon and it’s a fraction of the price. I think I am done with speaker systems if I get this level of performance from a tiny device and headphones.

1 Like

I originally got sucked in with the Hugo MK1 via the forum hype… the passing fad still lives with me in my Hugo TT2 :smile:

1 Like

Two Nicks. Two Hugo tt2.

Second block in the new headphone system.

1 Like

In my case H1 led to audition of TT1, with the mistake* of also hearing Dave. My Dave said wow, echoing my silent reaction. The other Dave came home and stayed.

*A very happy mistake!

1 Like

You broke the rule of listening to the next level up IB… as you say though, a very happy mistake!

1 Like

Before saying yes to hearing I did know that I wouldn’t be done for cruelty to the piggybank if it grabbed me, otherwise I would have resisted the temptation. I suppose sooner or later the source had to do some catching up…

1 Like

The Dave is 8 years old now and DACs have moved on a lot in that period. I’d love to hear a Dave in comparison with more recent DACs, such as my own, perhaps a Denafrips etc to hear how close (or not) they sound.

I am having fun with all these dacs novelties. If you follow Steve Huff, each new dac he reviews is the best he has heard till now. The Dave was outstanding, then the Weiss, still more outstanding, then Denafrips…
There should be a word that means better than perfect. :joy:
The Naim dac from 2009 must be a crap now, bettered by a cheap Chinese dac at 15 dollars :laughing:

5 Likes

It had been out about a year before I got mine. Mine has given me seven years of bliss, with not even the slightest inclination to even think of bothering hearing anything else! From that angle alone, it was well worth its high price. If others DACs nanage to match it or even beat it for sound quality and presentation for less money, that is fantastic as it means other people can have the same pleasure for less. I won’t be looking for as long as Dave keeps working, which I hope will be another two or three decades!

1 Like

Imaginery, perhaps? They’ll be able to make bad music sound good…

Because, of the parts of the signal chain that precede the amp, it (typically) has the greatest influence on SQ.

Yes - same as his camera reviews.

Got to get those clicks…

3 Likes