Bristol Show 2019

Totally agree Nigel with your comment on everything. I have the NDX 2 with the 555PS and it’s fantastic.

I personally don’t see the point in wanting to upgrade to the ND555, as to my ears the difference was minimal and the cost a little prohibitive for the improvement.

I think NAIM just might have made the NDX 2 a little better than they should have. :wink:

1 Like

the best cleaner by far is PEEK METAL cleaner …liquid or paste . i find liquid the best

Really good to see and chat with some of you yesterday at Bristol. We had a real treat too thanks to the local Bentley dealer Rybrook, who kindly brought along their new Bentley Continental GT equipped with the latest 2,200 watt, 18 speaker Naim for Bentley Audio system. I have to say it’s an achingly gorgeous car, with the Naim audio system making it something truly special…

9 Likes

Whether the ND555 is worth the extra over the NDX 2 is always going to be a matter of opinion and will be affected by the rest of the system it is used in, the listening room, speakers used, cabling…the list goes on.

I would never make a judgement over the relative worth of the ND555 vs the NDX 2 on the basis of s Show demonstration, nor even a dealer demonstration. An extended home demonstration is the only way.

But if you are happy with the NDX 2, you are many, many quids in!

2 Likes

Oh Yes more than happy with the combo I have, and quite happy to keep the difference cash wise:grin:

1 Like

Nigel - yes the NDX2 is superb with the 555 PSU - I had an extended demo at Cymbiosis and it’s only my attachment to my CDS3 that stops me pressing go. However, after 3 demonstrations I’m not yet convinced that the ND555 is quite the audio nirvana that many believe, it certainly takes a time to come on song according to many accounts. But, caveat I haven’t heard it in my system with my choice of music.

It’s all good.

Regards,

Lindsay

We’d come from listening to the K6 Signatures which were stunningly good. Thought the D2R’s were excellent, really tuneful with an open and natural sound.

2 Likes

The Chord stuff isn’t a cleaner, but comes with a cleaner as a pre-treatment. The really effective bit appears to be the treatment itself. I did a side by side with 2 cleaned up power cables, one with and one without and the one “with” was the one that made a huge difference.

Of course, it won’t matter whose cables you use as it’ll work on any. It would be really interesting, for example, to compare a treated hiline with an SL, or Naca5 with SL.

It’s interesting Lindsay about the nd555 and demo,s. I heard it at Naim hq, a Naim demo at my dealer…I was not bowled over. There was just one song I knew in the Naim demo at my dealer where I got a different insight into the music which made me decide to demo against the NDX2. In a room to myself with my music, it was much different and I chose the nd555. The NDX2 is great especially with a power supply and seems to be easier to demo for some reason?

It’s probably a streamer of some sort.

It was the new Rega Aethos amplifier.

Phil

Cheers :wink:

1 Like

That combination (NDX2 + 555PS) impressed me too, considering it was a hotel room, the sound was very good.

2 Likes

I seem to recall the same discussions about the CDS3 and the CD555 Nigel. The CD555 was better in almost every area, however the CDS3 was the far better value for money and it also had a musicality that even the CD555 couldn’t match

I guess many will be very happy with the NDX 2 but there will always be a few that will go the extra for the ND555.

Kind regards

PB

Were just back from a long and very enjoyable weekend visiting the show and the surrounding area. Saying that but for all the time we spent at the show we only visited four rooms. We spent time in the Neat, Kudos, Spendor and Harbeth room. All very enjoyable for different reasons. We didn’t visit the Naim room as firstly I have already done the comparisons and secondly I don’t want to spend so long in a closed room, very controlled demo.

Again, the Neat room made very good music from a very simple system. We heard half a dozen tracks, carefully chosen by Doug and we could have stayed there all afternoon.

The Kudos 505’s were extremely enjoyable, probably the best sound at the show or should i say the four rooms we visited. The only comment was the 505’s clearly showed the Linn characteristics which was very safe and enjoyable but lacked that last bit of dynamics we Naim users enjoy.

The Spendors were bombastic, extreme at both extremes, bass heavy for me and dare I say it, shrill at the top end. A dramatic sound but not a sound I could listen to for long.

The star of the show, again, the little Harbeths and Chris Kelly, a room that doesn’t apologise to play good music, no comments are good enough for this room other than just enjoy what you hear.

Another busy year which is good for the hi-fi industry although its noticeable that the average age of the visitors is getting higher and you do worry about the future of the industry.

5 Likes

Did they happen to demo the new K3s?

Clarkie, thanks for taking the time to make a comment regarding the ‘D2R’s’…

Perhaps we are of a generation brought up on great music that are not interested in some of life other distractions. Will try and dissuade @ Nigelb from next year…should get the age back down to normal, or perhaps get the daughter and her boyfriend to attend. She have great ability to listen to music and discern Hifi, but not as interested as I am. But she has come along to a few purchases, and helped😁

It’s not a criticism @gazza, it’s an observation. I am sure we will be saying the same again next year, albeit a year older :sunglasses:

I know, no criticism taken…just my observation too, my daughter much better, also wife, at discerning sound differences. Daughter does the concerts, just as I did in my twenties…more interested in a mobile Twitter, instagram account etc? Trying to get her more interested in Hifi than apple ipods…currently failing😬