British Reggae

100% a fantastic band live I saw these around ‘84-‘85 when I was about 15 great memories.

1 Like

They’re great live, I saw them at Bath University and once in Swansea. On the subject of great British reggae bands, I’m off to Bristol to see Steel Pulse in May, looking forward.

Should be a great night as you say another great British Reggae band please let us now how it goes.

Incredibly obscure but well worth a listen is the lone single by Birmingham roots group Mark of Slavery and its B-side Slow Down (both available to stream), produced I believe by the late Andrew ‘Madebe’ Burchell who I had the pleasure to meet shortly before he passed in 2017

1 Like

Excellent choice by @Ansible212

1 Like

Not British by birth but British based since he was 13 is the brilliant Mad Professor. The best dub producer by far. I was introduced to him by my older brother in 1983 with “Escape to the Asylum of Dub”, nearly 40 years later he is still fresh!

2 Likes

His Ariwa label has produced some classic Reggae music.

Not seen anyone mention this. I would have liked the vinyl but there’s far more on the 2 -CD version so that’s what I have been enjoying.

2 Likes

It’s a very good set. I too went for the CD because of the many extra tracks, as did @Dreadatthecontrols.

2 Likes

I t have so far just streamed it which sounds very good indeed on Tidal through my Raspberry Pi4/Chord 2Qute set up and so cancelled my vinyl order.

Hi Bob
It was amazing, they were brilliant. Nice surprise, Talisman were the support band. Couldn’t help noticing a poster for upcoming Burning Spear gigs at the venue - Birmingham here we come!

Thanks Bob for another Reggae thread. Always fun!

After Bob Marley (the first Reggae I was exposed to back in the day) the next two albums/bands I came across were Steel Pulse - “Handsworth Revolution” and Black Uhuru - “Sinsemilla” and then things took off from there.

2 Likes

Fantastic record Bob. “Signing Off,” “Present Arms,” and “Present Arms in Dub” are all really enjoyable albums and a far cry from later UB40 and their “Red, Red Wine” days.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip Greg.

Gary

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.