Bubbles In My Platter

Even if it makes no difference in sound, if you buy a new component at that price, you shall receive a brand new one.
If I receive a brand new IPad Pro at 1k or more, I would certainly not accept even 1mn scratch on it.

3 Likes

There you most definitely have a point as well. Agree with that. Was more thinking about whether or not it would actually make a difference.

But, I guess, depending on dealer and location a replacement may not always be equally easy for everyone, which may affect the limit of what someone is willing to live with.

1 Like

Had issues with all my Regas ( 1,3,6,8) and finally gave up. Horrible QC.

From the manufacturers point of view surely they would be concerned about an issue like this ? My P8 is a well made high quality product and I paid £2100 GBP for it, so I expect it to be free of blemishes or defects like visible air pockets dotted around the platter. I’m satisfied the air pockets are not going to have any adverse effect on the fabulous sound it produces but I’m fairly sure Rega will change the platter in due course.

3 Likes

Rega (according to their spiel) do seem to be rather proud of their ‘lifetime’ warranties against any manufacturing defects on all of their products. At least you can argue that although i suspect Rega’s approach will be to replace the platter for a new one in a willing-full manner.

3 Likes

Had an issue with the Rp10 feet. One was not being enough solidly attached. But it was ex demo. I had to use some glue.

Good job it isn’t rotating at 4000 RPM. In some fields dynamic imbalances cause all sorts of headaches in terms of disturbances for a control engineer that spinning discs are avoided for that reason. Then again I would imagine serious turntable manufacturers would have precise tolerances to control mass imbalances.

I think I had a ‘dynamic imbalance’ this morning after a glass or two of Malbec :woozy_face:

1 Like

This morning?

1 Like

Dear me, who drinks Malbec in the morning? Surely one starts with white wine for breakfast, Pinot Noir or other light red for lunch and afternoon, Malbec should be one of the evening wines. :wink:

3 Likes

Things are clearly pretty wild in Calderdale.

2 Likes

Only if the glass contents weren’'t fully imbibed the night before, shame not to really…before Mrs AC chucks it into the dishwasher.

3 Likes

Maybe you should stick to champagne although there are quite a few bubbles in it :smiley:
Seriously though. After nearly 40 years the coating on my LP12 outer platter is a bit pitted and does not look perfect.

1 Like

Just to confirm it was last night. The last time I had Wine in the morning was my wedding day, oh so long ago :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

The only time I occasionally have a glass in the morning is when there’s a cava or similar available in a hotel breakfast bar, Vienna 3 years ago was probably the last, and it accompanied an amazing eggy salmon dish.

1 Like

Just to update, after two ignored emails to my dealer regarding the air pockets, who I’d love to name here I took delivery of a Funk Firm Achromat today and it’s already in place on the platter. Right now, I’m smiling, especially when I played, Elbow ‘One Day Like This’ From ‘Seldom Seen Kid’ (45rpm version).

Wow !

So did you get the money back on the Rega?

I’m not seeking a refund, I just want my dealer to respond to my emails but I’m leaving it till after Christmas now as I’m sure they will be very busy as I am right now. I’m sure a phone call will resolve things.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.