Bubbleupnp & Minimserver EQ

I have just bought the DSOTM Immersion box set and ripped the CDs, DVDs and BlueRay. Spent the afternoon doing some comparitive listening with the HiRes version, 24/48.

Well, the convolution seems to be working and isn’t straining the hardware. However, it is somewhat lifeless. This MAY be due to me being trained over many years by the acoustics in my room, but the music just doesn’t flow or load the room.

Bottom line: Interesting experiment but I have removed the filters.

Could be many things… remember convolution is simply what you do with FIR filters, so convolution is simply a mathematical term of multiplying a filter response series of data with a stream of data. The bigger the filter response the more accurate the result … this is where the taps come in. Each sample of the response uses a ‘tap’ but requires more processing power…

Anyway back to where you were, if the filter makes the sound unduly sterile then I suspect there is an issue with how you have built the filter or there are too few taps and or a poor windowing technique… in creating the filter response possible issues include trying to over compensate the natural room response Or you have too many elements, or you have tried to compensate overly for room nulls or peaks… there is a lot of trial and error in building good room response filters with much manual tweaking.

All filters will affect the sound, and you will lose a little, but with a good filter it should not be major albeit it will likely be noticeable, remember DACs incorporate filters as well.

Hi Simon,

I am really enjoying the Chord Qutest/Sbooster + Ultra plain, as it were. It may be that my ear has been ‘trained’ over they years by my room. I am just going to sit back and enjoy the ride, then listen to the M-Scaler when it arrives and see what I think of its filters.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions,

M

You may have a point on what you are used to… I have noticed that before now too.
I like you think it’s good to experiment and keep open minds…

I am sure you will enjoy the mscaler filters albeit at a cost of latency, that probably doesn’t matter, but also quite an amount of power.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.