Budget turntables

I would second N-lot for a technics 1500 c. 1990 Australian dollars, with in built phono. Just add an mm cartridge and you are done.
In the future, if you enjoy vinyls , you can add a better phono and cart.

2 Likes

Pete, the challenge you have here is that you have an excellent source in your NDX2/XPS and very fine amplifier. No relatively budget deck will stand up against the NDX2 or match well with the amp. It will of course be fine for casual listening, but is that all you want? Will you be satisfied with something that sounds worse merely so you can have the experience of spinning vinyl?

We bought a Rega Planar 1 plus a few years ago, and some vinyl. It was ok but no more than that. We’ve improved the deck over the years; the point at which the sound became genuinely satisfying was when we got a Planar 8. I’d suggest that you might be better looking at the level of at least a Planar 6 with Ania and Fono MC. This strikes a good balance between not being silly money and enjoyable sound through your excellent system. To spend less and not really enjoy it may ultimately be a waste of money.

Records are expensive but if you enjoy the artwork, the pleasure of owning a physical thing, and the interaction with the turntable - the ceremonial part if you like - it’s well worth it. There are some fantastic jazz reissues coming out at the moment, beautifully packaged and with great sound.

5 Likes

Hello Pete

Paul Rigby -The Audiophile Man , did a cracking review of a recent ProJect Debut Pro turntable

Nicely priced , I would see it as an alternative to a Rega 3.

I guess that if there was one non-Naim product that most of us had at one stage or another it would be a Rega 3 . I’ve had two

1 Like

Another vote for a Rega Planar 3 - they are the sweet spot for value for money and you won’t lose much if you trade up. Personally I’m happy with mine as mostly I stream my music from Quobuz so it’s fine for occasional use.

2 Likes

8 Likes

@Mike_S has a Rega P3, Rega Exact cart and Fono phono. Around 2300 Australian dollars for the trio.
Would be interesting to know how it compares, on good analog pressings, vs his Ndx2/555 dr.

2 Likes

There’s also the MOFI deck, made in USA. Some say it’s very hard to beat for the price. The one on the picture has a 200 dollars cart included. 1700 Australian dollars.

2 Likes

Pete, I won’t chime in with specific turntable recommendations as there are people here who have far greater experience comparing the virtues of different players. But, I will add that Rega are great value for money and their customer service is very good indeed.

I would mention that artist studios and records are not the best companions - water & turpentine, painty fingers, charcoal, graphite & pastel dust etc, could all play havoc with those expensive discs. My deck is in my studio, but I hardly every play records during the working day (ripped CDs / podcasts usually). Records are reserved for the evening or the weekend mainly.

Plus, how many records do you have? If you have an archived collection, then throw yourself back in and enjoy the pleasure of reacquainting yourself with your old records! If you only have a few, or you’re planning on restarting a collection, then it could prove very expensive replacing those cherished discs with new, or even secondhand. That said, I resurrected my vinyl from the loft three years ago and it’s one of the best things I ever did, and I’m still adding to the collection.

Just a few thoughts, but wish you well with your choices.:+1:

2 Likes

It actually comes with a cart, Ortofon 2M red.

1 Like

I have just upgraded from a project debut iii to a rega p3
Difference is amazing
The project was ok but rega is so much better

4 Likes

@anon4489532 I certainly understand the concerns about a budget deck but I see this as a bit of an experiment and aren’t willing to invest any more at this stage. However I will speak to my long suffering dealer for some advice before I do anything, I trust him are so far they’ve never let me down.

@YetiZone those paint and stuff points you raise are the reasons I haven’t bothered looking at vinyl before it’s also the reason why I like everything ripped and stored. The ability to be able to play music for hours on end without touching anything other than a iPad is a life saver.

The ability to play vinyl would only be for the casual listening when I’m not covered in paint etc. I’m in the big smoke for the next couple of days and see if I can audition a few decks.

1 Like

Get Harry to audition Norman’s 40th anniversary LP12 ( I’ve got the other one, I think only 2 came into Aus)

You will be impressed let me tell you :+1:

It’s the original Rega Planar 3 that I have - close to 40 years old now. It’s been serviced and has a new belt, cartridge and a blue mat. It’s perfectly good for the occasional vinyl I listen to.

For @Pete_the_painter, the latest RP3 would be a good option to stay on budget, though for a modest increase, the RP6 would be my starting point. They match perfectly with a Naim system, sonically and visually.

4 Likes

My dealer has recommended Dual CS415.2EV with built in phone stage or CS455-1 + a fono mini A2D. Anyone had any experience with either of these?

He did have another option of a Linn at around $47ks.

1 Like

Take the Linn mate ha :+1:

From what I’ve read those dual ones are ok - and can I say you will have piece of mind

1 Like

Can you plug TT straight into your Atom ?

At least would start to give you an idea maybe

1 Like

What brand is that Pete? I think the Solstice might be cheaper than the Linn, but that awful cake tin on top…

It’s the Linn LP12 Klimax Mike - one of my 3 LP12’s is the 40th anniversary of that . Have a look on the Linn Audio website

There has been a few upgrade since I got mine 5 or so years ago but I’m not going there mate , I don’t think my aging cloth ears would hear anything different

It’s a wonderfull TT let me tell you

In my experience, one rabbit hole is enough!

Mike there’s hundreds of rabbit holes just in this forum alone.

2 Likes