Building my first Naim system - advice required

they are realy nice speakers!

2 Likes

Not knowing what kind of music you like I would also guess the biggest potential is in the speakers. You could work on your budget and simply wait until you can go Harbeth - or get a good pair of used speakers.

@segelmatt I’ve edited your post. Please ensure your posts comply with forum rules. Thank you.

Thanks for all the input.

I’ve been offered a pair of Wilson Benesch Arc standmounts (with their bespoke stands). Anyone had experience of these speakers?

The Arcs are very fine speakers, however they require far more than a UnitiLite and 200 to do them justice. I’d heed the advice previously given, several times, to stick with your existing speakers and improve the source and preamp. A 272 or a ND5XS2 and 202 would be a good place to start.

They are fast fun little speakers.

A friend of mine has had a pair of Arcs for years, paired with a Supernait. They sound very nice to me. If the Arcs are being offered at a good price I’m sure the OP could ‘slum it’ with his existing source until funds permit an upgrade of source. Have a demo, see how they sound would be my advice.

Another vote cast for the 272. You’ll love what it brings and the speakers can be addressed later.

I’d still upgrade those speakers first and perhaps the phono stage. I have a similar set up turntable into Uniti Mk 1 and my phono stage and my speakers are the two items I’ve refused to sell and have kept longest and I’ve tried lots and lots of Naim gear.
What I learned is that Wasn’t one item of Naim equipment that I wouldn’t happily own and enjoy but there are many speakers I wouldn’t give house room.
Upgrade those speakers first and then tailor your system to suit them not the other way around and buy used.

Second hand 272s are easy to come by and will, I suspect, become even easier (and cheaper) to acquire. If these Arcs are a genuine bargain such an opportunity may not soon be repeated.

Spiderlover has only just recently got the Naim pair. I would suggest using these for a good while and try those Wilson B arc speakers at home for a demo. If they are a good fit and a change of quality is heard over the Q acoustics, they should be keepers. At a later time the stage is set more stable for further upgrade on that Unitilite.
I’m only guessing, but whatever upgrade on the source and amp the Q acoustics will stop giving more way before the little arc will. Wilson B are known for being revealing with little character of their own, which will let you hear more of the system - great when you later upgrade upstream.

After all the advice and having done some speaker auditions I’ve just taken delivery of a pair of Sonus Faber Venere 1.5s and I’m smitten out of the box.

They seem far more suited to the NAP than the Q Acoustics. The sound is more controlled and less boomy at the bottom end. I think I prefer the front firing port as I don’t have the luxury of space and have to have them about 30cm away from the wall at the most.

Now I need to concentrate on finding a new house before any other upgrades take my fancy…

1 Like

Also don’t forget you can play cds on the Unitilite

Well done and good luck finding the new house.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.