Building system to support kids/TV - XS3 vs Unity Star

Hi,

I would like to build my first stereo set - my budget is around $5000 USD . There is couple of aspects apart music - technology wise it have to simply work. In my case my 8 year old doughter should be able to use it.

After listening dozen of different configurations I think that I finally found config that suites me the best (mainly rock music) .

Now what I picked is XS3 + Fyne Audio F502. I rented it and for about a week I was listening music mainly using Cambridge Audio Dac 100 + PC (Spotify / Tidal)

So to support XS3 with actual music I would need to buy some streamer. To match budget I was thinking about Node 2i + some DAC in order to connect also TV.

I can’t figure out any other way to control everything other than Logitech Harmony. So although it’s playing nice - separate system seems to be quite complicated on a daily use.

So here is where Unity Star jumps in. I borrowed it and listened for a day at home. It was really simple config - connected HDMI, speakers and all worked beautifully. When I wanted to listen to Spotify it turned itself. This is what I was looking for.

So why I’m hesitant to pick Star? Software bug - in my case Star was hanging to the point that remote was not working and needed to be unplugged from electricity. After some gooogling I switched option related to HDMI and I think it was gone.

In the same time the auto input option was gone so back to using 2 remotes (or mobile app) to pick HDMI as a source.

Internet radio wasn’t working at all in my case - used Spotify mainly but was surprised anyway.

So at the end either I would have to chose classic system with multiple components or buggy Unity.

Do you have any other suggestions within this budget cap?

Sonos Beam.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.