Burn in - a myth?

Agree. NDX2 is a super Naim box. Mine too has XPSDR. That makes a positive difference to its performance. Burn in was definitely a feature I noticed with the NDX2 and to a lesser effect with the XPSDR as well. I leave THE NDX2 on standby when not in use but I don’t switch off my power supplies or amp.

The most spectacular burn in improvement I have noticed though is with the Dynaudio Heritage Specials. They sounded very good at the start of their lives, about 12 months ago. But they sound incredible now (252/SCDR/250DR/EpicXL speaker cable). Upgraded to brand new 300DR last week to get that little bit more out of the 252, but left channel (1) stopped working after 1/2 hour of gentle running in use! Naim tell me it is probably a stuck relay. So it’s going back home to Salisbury tomorrow. No doubt that will require a period of burn in too! Such fun.

2 Likes

We are wondering if the uptick in performance after 4 months was due to speakers opening up.

The 300DR pushes our speakers to levels the 250DR simply could not, especially in the bass. And because the sound remains coherent with no muddling at volume I do admit I tend to crank the volume just that notch or two more when SWMBO is out. The 300DR has allowed me to revisit a lot of dense/complex metal albums which really push speakers.

Or maybe something came loose :laughing:

4 Likes

Mechanical things - Run In
Phycological things - Burn In
Simples. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Sadly not. I wish it were that simple but I unplugged de cabled re cabled and re plugged it all at least 4 times over 2 days and same result. Definitely a problem with one of the 300DR/PS boxes or possibly one of burndies or channel one XLR cable? Definitely not anything else as reattached 250DR and all working perfectly.

1 Like

If a component is unlistenable out of the box no amount of burn in will get it to fine or marvelous in my experience.

1 Like

Interesting post about run in on Naim kit, including the suggested mechanism

A few years ago I replaced a Denon DL103 with a new Denon DL 103.
After I’d fitted it onto the arm it sounded that bad I actually thought I’d damaged it during fitting.

30 hours run and it sounded fine.

That’s explaining why capacitors need replacing, nothing to do with burning in.

I didn’t say out of the box. I generally find things perform quite well out of the box, but often seem to go downhill 2 or 3 days later, before coming back on song. At some point thereafter, the presentation has stabilised enough to make a decision on whether or not the item is a keeper.

By unlistenable I simply mean not at all enjoyable, to the extent I stop listening and walk away. I have experienced that several times with new components, within the first week of running 24/7. That never happens later - I might enjoy more or less on a given day but I never feel I have to stop listening due to an unenjoyable presentation.

1 Like

And I wouldn’t even try- it would go straight back.

2 Likes

When they are new using them improves their properties as the dielectric forms (insulation between the plates) improving SQ. As a capacitor ages further its leakage increases and capacitance decrease. This has a negative effect on SQ.

The post covered quite a bit, I should have copied the relevant piece out.

Someone put me in a closed little room from which I couldn’t escape, for 24 hours , with Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon playing non stop.
I had a burn out.

4 Likes

Burn out isnt a myth.
Either that or those sending items in for a service are deluded.

Probably more to do with your ears than the component.

Same as above.

My first amp, built with Sinclair Project 60 modules, regularly burnt in - and it was incontrovertibly genuine: I could smell the smoke!

(They weren’t tolerant of overload, failure of the output transistors and smouldering of a couple of associated resistors providing effective speaker protection! )

2 Likes

My experience as well. Coming back from holiday, it’s something special.

My theory: Our ears become accustomed to the system (burn -in), so one one hand we know it’s good. We can recognise the strengths and weaknesses. But it also becomes the norm.

Then for a few days we listen to lesser systems and when we return: Wow!

1 Like

Quite so!You don’t want those pesky engineers trying to bring reality into a hifi forum!
Mark my words. It’ll be Mains cables next.

3 Likes

Doesn’t need to be a theory, it most definitely happens (also given specific examples of this happening to me before on the forums). This is one of the reasons I have a big issue with members that are making comparisons with gear they currently own, to gear they haven’t owned for years & to top it off, listened to lesser gear in between. There is no way you can make any sort of proper comparison.

2 Likes

When I buy a new cable, be it power, Ethernet, or interconnect, I listen first 10 minutes after 1 hour burn in. Then I let the system playing music during 24 hours, without listening to it during that period. ( the night and the day after). Each time, when listening again after 24 hours, I observed a noticeable difference from the very first listening. My brain and my ears couldn’t have been accustomed. For me it’s an evidence.

3 Likes

Agree with you FR…if it sounds better, it is better.
…and…
most of us use our ears to judge if something sounds better, rather than scientific conjecture.

2 Likes