Buy to let investment advise

In my case the returns were already low, as we were dealing with DSS people, so couldn’t afford an agent, but I do agree that if you go down this route, an agent is a must.

Very true, but if you do go down this route, you hopefully know it isn’t a risk free investment, and of course you always have a choice

I agree that there are risks with property but I was specifically thinking about people who have saved cash for retirement thinking that it is safe.

The MMT that is being done by the central banks is a risk to anyone with savings for retirement

2 Likes

Have savings in other currencies too.

1 Like

Move him away from the South East! My spacious 3 bed detached bungalow to which I referred above is currently rented put at £950pm, and is in good condition… However we didn’t increase the rent upon recent renewal despite recommendation of the rental agency because our tenants are good and we want them to stay until the time is right for us to either move there ourselves or abandon the plan and sell it.

1 Like

“Under the Prime Minister’s net zero policy, mortgage lenders would be forced to keep figures on how energy efficient the homes they lent money against are and disclose these to the Government. They would also need to set themselves targets to improve how well-insulated the homes on their books were. “

Its coming.

1 Like

…As could be many bunfights between tenants and landlords over the type of heating installed and whether it is effective or not, noting the tenant pays the bills but the heating system is (obviously) under the control of the landlord - and the latter may not be encouraged to spend >£15k replacing ‘existing’, even before all the internal upheaval required is addressed (piping/rads et al).

It’s head-spinning time.

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately, IIUC for efficient heatput heat pumps circulate water at a lower temperature than fossil fuel boilers - whilst they lend themselves well to underfloor heating, with conventional rad system it would need bigger radiators. And I guess any tank-based hot water system will need a bigger tank for the same reason … while I assume there’s no such thing as a combi heat pump, meaning that any house currently on a combi would need a tank - with its associated space. And all those are extra cost on top of the heat pump, and could be a lot of disruption in the propperty.

You are correct and it’s for this reason that heat pumps are not the long term solution.
It’s like electric cars and anyone that lives in a flat or terrace house with no off road parking directly outside.

Hydrogen is certainly a more practical solution for vehicles and home heating. going forward but has many other complications.
Most boiler manufacturers are putting their R&D into Hydrogen.

2 Likes

Agreed, I’m sure most heat pumps run relatively quietly when new, but in an apartment/flat situation with lots of them hanging from outside walls must create a lot of noise along with associated vibration injected into the building - Im thinking of those small wind turbines mounted on a corner of a house wall, which shook all the mortar out.
As for maintenance, just to clean the fan impellor blades would be fine if access is easy, but if mounted externally at any height it’s a scaffolding job.

There certainly is such a thing as a combi heat pump. Mitsubishi and Dakin manufacture such a thing.

I have a combi gas boiler wall mounted above a tumble dryer, if I removed both I could slot in a Daikin Altherma, the only work required would be removing the gas supply and repositioning the heating and DHW connections.

Gas boilers only need to output high flow temperatures when it’s cold outside and the room temperature needs to be raised a lot. IE, first thing in the morning. Or when there is a severe cold snap.
Electric immersion heaters are provided in the Daikin Altherma to boost temperature when required.

Conventional radiators will be fine.

4 Likes

My father has the Bosch 7400 on order, we have the Atag Energion on order.

We expect to bring down the gas consumption down from 2200m2 a year to 700m2. Need electricity to compensate but that’s why we have solar panels.

Is it financially worthwhile? It is for us, but we were in the position that we had to replace the 15 yr old boiler which was giving errors more and more.

They are in fact not combis at all, it is just a heat pump with a built in storage cylinder.

Being an installer and having fitted heat pumps over the years this is still not an option for 90% of people.
And with a maximum heat output of 8kw is laughable also.

1 Like

The Worcester 7000 range, it’s not available currently anymore due to supply issues.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information, currently discussing heating requirements with my O/H.

Niether of us had central heating when we were young, my parents had a coal fire plus a parafin heater on the landing for mid winter. Yes, the condensation on the inside of the single glazed steel framed windows froze in winter, but we never considered it cold, it was what happened in winter and we never complained.

1 Like

That’s the one. I’ll post a photo once installed.

Ardbeg, I was/am a registered installer for Atag, are you in the UK out of interest.

1 Like

In the Netherlands, I think.

Nope, I’m in the Netherlands. It was a real challenge to get an installer willing to install the energion. In the end I contacted Atag and they provided me a name.

Most installers still replace boilers like for like, but most new build houses here have heat pumps.

1 Like

But when you repied to IB’s post stating that anybody with a combi boiler would need to find space for a separate DHW tank, you agreed with him. :thinking:
It is a direct replacement for a gas combi boiler. It does the job of a combi boiler.

Wouldn’t the heat output be dependant on the outdoor unit.

There is not many people who could accommodate such a unit.
Flats in the UK, majority of boilers are wall mounted gas combis, in the kitchen inline with kitchen wall units and above worktops.

Space is at a premium within flats and over the past couple of decades, people have been doing everything they can to gain cupboard space.

I believe the government has made this big claim and push when they don’t know enough about and the huge pitfalls of heat pumps.

It’s a bit like when the government gave a mad push on lightbulbs and everyone had to get energy saving lightbulbs.
The reality was because they weren’t bright enough, took ages to warm up and everyone either turned them on in advance or left them on.
Or when the government told us all we need to be driving diesels as they are far more efficient!
But within a couple of years LED bulbs turned up and solved the problem.

The problem is with the heating saga is the same, the government need to do something but unfortunately realistically there isn’t a proper alternative to the gas boiler for 90% of existing dwellings.
New builds is a different kettle of fish is you are using underfloor heating.

On a final note I don’t this any of the heat pumps I have fitted have made it over 8 years without being replaced. They are made out op thin tin and completely open to the elements.

2 Likes