Buying an EMTB

Thanks guys! That sounds like an awesome trip Bruce!

With regard to the bike shop’s comments I actually agree with you Innocent. One of the most impressive trends this year in the EMTB world has been the development of full power ebikes with long battery life that weigh maybe 5Kg less than anything that has gone before. Two bikes in particular jump out at me in this respect:

1. The DJI Amflow with its DJI motor producing 120Nm, carrying an 800mWh battery which weighs less than 20Kg…

2. The new Cannondale SL (Super Light) range also with a full power 85 Nm Shimano motor and 750Wh bettery weighing in at 20Kg or less.

Both of these bikes I feel point the way to the future of EMTB’s. The problem for me is that they are both brand new and hence not available in my price range (sub £5k) because they aren’t being discounted like so many other bikes. Both are more in the £6k-£12k range.

I have no doubt that the future will be heavily weighted to full power bikes of lighter weight.

JonathanG

1 Like

I’ve borrowed this bicycle from my brother - he has a bike shop. It’s a magnificent bicycle. I go faster than my wife on her e-bike. It’s certainly a bicycle at a certain price level but everything just works nicely and keeps working well.

That is easy with virtually any non-e bike on the flat or downhill because an (UK/EU legal) e-bike is alot heavier and electric assistance is limited to 25kph (15.5mph). Try comparing uphill!

e-bikes would seem rather pointless in a flat country like Netherlands other than possibly for extending long distance range

1 Like

Indeed. Once my wife reaches 25 kmph, it is hard to go faster than that. I don’t know what it pecisely is, but my brothers bicycle goes so smooth! The gears are nice and precise, the brakes just right.

An e-bike in a flat country (Belgium) is not pointless at all. It helps to have an extended distance range and is financial rewarded when the bike is used for the home-work itinary. A lot of employers also offer bike leasing formulas above the normal salary making it possible to obtain higher range bikes.

1 Like

I did note the possible distance advantage. And then if course there and is wind!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.