Cable burn in

Drivers definitely have some mechanical break-in.

I would also say I have heard a new crossover burn-in. When you know your speakers really well with a crossover then you change the whole thing over for a more high quality one, you can tell for sure.

How much about the secondary and tertiary properties of inductors and capacitors do you understand?..
Not enough I’m guessing.

Actually they won’t measure the same (insignificant change in resistance, some change in inductance, considerable change in mechanical resonance, considerable change in FR of microphony).

Not static: the turtle is swimming through the cosmos.

You need to catch up with modern cosmology!

2 Likes

Yes: well spotted. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
The cables were changed over 3 years ago.

Conclusions (in this case):

A) ‘Burn in’ takes at least 3 years.
B) ‘Burn in’ is a psychological process related to mental plasticity (an effect which causes ongoing changes in perception during our whole lifetimes).

Take your pick.

5 Likes

All it would take to put this one to bed would be for a measurable change to be demonstrated. Even if the ‘why’ was left unanswered.

Not even the manufacturers have demonstrated a change.

2 Likes

Yes there is: hydrophobicity.

Read the book… Tanford, C. (1980) The Hydrophobic Effect.
Everybody ‘knows’ that oil is hydrophobic… except it actually isn’t.

(Water just sticks to itself and the oil just sticks to itself, neither is repelled by the other: no hydrophobicity exists).

1 Like

Answer here:

:wink: :laughing:
(Sorry, I just couldn’t resist that!)

Yes, thank you.

1 Like

I take care within my limits of the scientific testing.

I’m skimming. Agreed, Xanthe is making very good points as usual.
I’m just a bit lost regarding what this has to do with what you wrote and I replied to. Maybe I am missing or misunderstanding something

I deleted my post during my edit, not interested in a debate about the thread. What I wrote and you replied to is that there will not be a conclusive result from testing that anyone will accept. But that Xanthe has a more practical summary related to the topic. One I can accept. :+1:

Scott

I don’t want to drag this out, but I think I should clarify that you wrote, and I disagreed with, “the refusal of members to accept any information no matter how it is presented.

This is not quite the same as “there will not be a conclusive result from testing that anyone will accept.”

I would agree that it’s quite possible that there will not be a conclusive result that everyone will accept, but that’s not the same as no matter how it is presented.

I tend to agree with @334578 , as I feel, even if I think Raphael’s test will be very seriously carried, there will be always some who will deny the validity of the results, with some points as « not double blind done « , « the temperature of the room could have changed in 1 hour », « the cables are not strictly identical « ….etc

3 Likes

I disagree. My wife is definitely hydrophobic, at least when the water is in the form of discernible droplets falling or blowing through the atmosphere at and below an altitude of 1.63m.

1 Like

Ah - you are assuming that the tests will show that burn-in does occur, then.

I think it’s more likely the other way around.

Believers in any subject are often not easily swayed by rational reasoning or observation. They need to stop believing in magic, which is something they don’t want to because it feels good to them.

So when tests don’t show any evidence of burn-in, which is very likely to be the case, they will just say that the equipment is not sensitive enough to pick it up, or that the wrong things were measured.

Just change “cable burn-in” to the existence of any type of god, ghosts, ufo’s and whatnot, and it’s easy to predict what is going to happen with these test.

4 Likes

My ears say to me that the 250 dr is better vs the 200 dr, 252 is more resolving vs the 282, a powerline uplifts the sound vs the standard power cable.
The same ears tell me that the new cable doesn’t sound the same after 10 hours, or at minimum 3 hours.
Absolutely nothing related to UFO, Alliens, Lockness monster…
However, if you don’t believe your ears, why have you bought a 8k or more audio system.
An entry level Bose or Yamaha would do the same for you, not?

3 Likes

I assume the test will probably show the burn in phenomenon, but the results will not satisfy the majority here.

Some things do matter ofcourse, but in audio there are also many things that are not proven to do much or anything.

It has everything to do with the relative unreliability of our hearing, think about it:

Why is there so much more snake oil in audio than in video?

It’s because our sight is much more precise and able to discern what actually makes a differences and what doesn’t.

The quality of our hearing is just a crude joke compared to that of our eyes, even though it can obviously elicit strong emotional responses when we listen to music.

1 Like

It’s seems like semantics and philosophy now, both statements are the same to me, as I see no data, hypothesis, or solution being accepted be some of the members. And that is just fine. There are or seem to be people with more knowledge and have subject matter expertise in the topic, where I do not, so I read to absorb info.

I do see how you view both statements being different. I am generalizing, and not trying to pontificate over the subject or discussion.

It’s the weekend, I will be listening to some new albums and OVER-utilizing my knob on my 282. :joy:.

Great discussion and I will continue to watch for results from Rafael.

Scott

1 Like

It’s what I feel, you have very little self confidence in your ears.

1 Like