Cable connection ... tightening!

As a “veteran” naim customer I have probably for the last 20 years had the burndies and also all other din cables not fully locked in. Over the last 2 years with streaming and ND555, Entreq, bringing improvements I felt SQ had gained notably in depth and width, now uncovering a low bass (which before was less audible) a bit muddied, not snappy. So I went on and tightened all the cable connections and then there it was suddenly the low end became perfect and precise…Clearly it made a great difference (everyone can hear it) and I believe this is for the better. Easy to try! Please let me know about your experience? I know it goes again common historical experience but maybe the higher definition makes it possible to use the equipment as it was intended…

Burndies must be fully locked. As must SNAICs. But interconnects… put it this way, if you use HiLine or SuperLumina there are no locking rings at all.

3 Likes

OK so I always thought the suggestion was not to lock them fully. Same as for all the “locking” cables to always refrain from locking them fully. Regarding Hiline/Superlumina here the suggestion was not to push them fully into the connection, leaving them out 1-2 mm.

I think your understanding of interconnects is correct.

But anything carrying DC power must be secured with the locking ring. I’m sure Richard can confirm.

3 Likes

I’m a great believer in the benefits of not locking the lavender interconnects. But with a Burndy you only get the proper connection when it’s locked, and if it’s not locked there is a risk of it dropping out and potentially leading to damage.

I confess that I used to leave the plugs on Snaics unlocked, but this should only be considered if you are 100% confident that they won’t be knocked by children, pets or ham fisted cleaning.

2 Likes

I understood this was about Interconnects. SNAIC’s and Burndys should be fully locked.

3 Likes

i’m the same Burndys fully locked - lavendar push in and then retract very slightly

2 Likes

Well so I learned something today…all these years wasted!

1 Like

We call all learn something, today - tomorrow and the next day…

1 Like

Burndies must remain locked especially if you have an inquisitive cat. Do not ask me how I know!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.