Cable Dressing

I don’t think that the best order.

In my system I have from top to bottom

NDS
Supercap
300PS
555DR

Nothing touches the floor and it keeps power away from the pre-amp and streamer.

Thanks. Only problem is speaker cable length doesn’t allow 300 to go higher in the rack hence why I have it at the bottom

I’ve always wondered why there’s so much discussion about keeping the signal and power away from each other but then Naim puts them in the same cable (including burned and snaic) and also sends signal directly through the external power supplies.

Maybe because power cables are 240V AC and the power in a Burndy or Snaic is 24V DC or something like that. As a bit of a sheep I just follow the advice. Electronics is a bit beyond me.

Fair point on the cables.

I do not know the science behind this but I have always understood that keeping mains power cables away from signal cables is that unshielded power cables can pick up/transfer RF and EM interference and pass this on to a signal cable nearby and so create noise in the signal. That being the case it may not be such an issue if you are using shielded mains leads instead of the kettle-style leads most units come with as standard.

What about having power cables tight together in parallell? Naim Powerline is not shielded so could that potentially change their characteristics if you put 3-4 of them tight together for their full length?

I use supercheap foam to help keeping cables separated
Iver

2 Likes

Is that foam directional and burnt in?

4 Likes

I have found Wicks’ pipe insulation far superior to B&Q’s.

4 Likes

Sounds more analogue.

Black foam has a lower inky black noise floor compared to white foam.

I downloaded this photo from an earlier version of this forum. I’m sure you’ll agree it is a lesson to us all in the fine art of cable dressing; something to which we should all aspire. I think it was TonyM who set this fine example.

13 Likes

That Tony sure knows his stuff!

2 Likes

Yep, and I’ll bet when they first plugged it all in it was all neat and tidy. I am convinced small spirits live in cables and ropes and while you are not looking overnight they twist and turn with a knotty result!

2 Likes

Would members please respect and abide by forum rules. Thank you.

This thread reminds me the cable undressing thread which was great fun and a way to forget about being too serious about cable dressing.

It was was a kind of ‘Dr. Strangelove and How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb’ moment. Just replace bomb by cable undressing in the title of the film and it works. You feel relaxed afterwards.

3 Likes

Mandrake, do you recall what Clemenceau once said about war? … He said “War is too important to be left to the generals.” When he said that, fifty years ago, he may have been right. But today war is too important to be left to the politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Mandrake, come over here, the Redcoats are coming!

1 Like

Am I doing it right?

20 Likes

No, the cable needs to be looped through the elastic band.

1 Like