Cable Risers can Improve SQ…?

Therre’s no doubt in my mind that reviewers often hype it up with expressions like ‘transformative’, ‘revelatory’, etc. Of course it’s all entirely subjective.

I use Audioquest Fog Lifters. They are sensibly priced, well made and seem to me to be well-designed in that they lift cables well clear of the floor and have only a minimal contact with them. I perceive an improvement with my speaker cables. Not night and day, but worthwhile having.

This one is used on speaker cables and interconnects. Mine is another version used on power cord plugs going into components. In my system, it brought a noticeable difference when used on both the amp and DAC. I only have one and it’s used on the DAC as the heavy power cord is pulling it off the shelf. In other words, the cable holder is used to secure the DAC on the rack, and the improved sound quality is a bonus. It’s not a night and day difference but noticeable. More control to the sound with slight improved macro dynamics. An overall cleaner sound as the function of the holder is to reduce or remove EMI/RFI interference.

I was told by the Furutech dealer that the effects are cumulative. The more devices you use in the system, the sound may get too controlled ie. shut in with reduced airiness.

Let’s go.

2 Likes

Have fun :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

It’s a small world! When were you there? I was at Hull from 98 -2001. I really enjoyed TC though it was a long night - often not getting home until 4am.

So did it make a difference?

Have just moved them to the XLR input on 300DR (Morgana) and laid the Phantoms on them too. Will play for some days and remove them and we’ll see how it feels :slightly_smiling_face:. I usually do note make conclusions when I put things into my system these days and instead doing so when I remove them and convert back after 2-5 days. I find this method easier to make conslusions from than put things in and try to make a conclusion in swapping back forth every 10 minutes or so :slightly_smiling_face:

Right that makes sense but did you not notice a change when you first put them in place?

Can’t say really since I’m not evaluating. It’s not tweaking as in EQ giving a 6dB boost in the lower bass so to say :wink: These days tweaking is often at micro level so the whole is greater than the sum of parts.

1 Like

I was at Hull University from 1984-87.

Soon after my arrival the most famous employee of that institution was pushing up daisies in Pearson Park.

1 Like

Between ‘94 and ‘97 before I decided a degree wasn’t for me, I did return in ‘98 for Megagig but can’t say I recall meeting you.

You must have been using the EAW rig powered by Chevin amps? Sheer luxury after the sorta-Turbosound TMS and Rauch/Amcron that I bit my teeth on before the newer kit arrived. I remember the late nights followed by the early weekend starts to repair the kit ready for the next evenings abuse!

1 Like

I have a feeling that I may not have been at MegaGig that year.

Yes we were using the Chevin amplifier-based system. Two amplifier stacks made up of sub, bass, middle and top amplifiers containing 2 channels per stack so four channels in total IIRC. We had a separate ‘head’ box that contained compressors, crossovers and EQ. We had a mixing desk for bands and 4 x Pioneer DJ CD players and 4 x Technics SL1210 Mk3s. There was also a smaller stack of Chevin amps for running stage monitors. The main system could be run as a ‘sound wall’, in ‘stereo’ either side of the stage or ‘quadrophonic’ with a speaker stack in each corner of the room. I preferred the ‘stereo’ mode. It was all in the large room downstairs but it had a relatively low ceiling which limited SQ and total output level - the system was definitely clearer and went louder when outside the building.

I think that at least some of the old system that you used was repurposed as a mobile system for use in different bars around the Uni or for rent out.

Nothing was fixed in place so every event required getting the equipment out, securing the speaker stacks with straps, wiring (mostly by XLR) and then EQ. We would then have to take it all down at the end of each night. TBF the system (pretty new at the time) was reliable with just the odd issue with CD players occasionally or perhaps a damaged cart’ thanks to a heavy handed DJ. I have no idea what it all cost but it wouldn’t have been cheap. Having said that, the whole caboodle was probably a lot less than some high-end audio.

Soon after I left, an extension to the SU was built which involved putting in a fixed system but I have no idea how much, if any, of the Chevin/EAW rig was used.

I read Andrew Motion ‘Philip Larkin - A Writers Life’ some years ago and then, coincidentally, met Barbara Moon, his ‘boss’ at Hull, at a party in Edinburgh when she effectively became my wife’s boss.

We got chatting about Motion’s book and I asked her if she recognised the Larkin she knew from the way he was represented. She replied that what she remembered most was him leaning into young ladies at parties saying “Heeeello…My name is Philip Larkin”.

Which I thought sounded about right.

G

1 Like

This Be The Verse

They fu*k you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.

2 Likes

How did that second f*ck(ed) get through the auto- censor? Whoo, have you found a chink in the armour?

Swearing in the past is ok.

Well I’ll be f…d. Tense beats bot.

Whale oil beef hooked.

4 Likes

Thats style…