Cable Risers can Improve SQ…?

Like the attention to detail and care taken.

2 Likes

Really can’t see the point of it all, but like always people find ways to make you spend your money if you want to buy into all this.
For me i am happy to sit back and just enjoy what i have and not worry, as all this stuff that is constantly being sold and must have or do, well most of it is completely rubbish.
As with most things in life, if you want a better or different sound,go buy the box that does that as its the only real way to get proper inpovement, all this tinkering with this, that and the other is really just messing about, can be fun i agree, but making real improvement, i don’t think so, human ears just aren’t that good

10 Likes

I wouldn’t buy them based on the blurb below. And the fact they remind me of Burger King.

Many say that vibrations picked up by cables being layed on the floor impacts on the sound.
All Entreq can say is that Entreq have many theories but have been unable to prove categorically what causes this issue ; vibrations, static electricity etc etc… Entreq really don’t know for sure! There are however definate advantages to be had with cable lifters. Entreq have designed they own cable lifters from slim, non-magnetic material.

I am doing some shamanic practise and used intent and magical rutuals to induce my shungite pyramid with magical hifi improving powers. It is really difficult to reproduce it so it’s a one of a kind object.

I am willing to lend it to a fellow music enjoyer. It will offer the ultimate in potential improvement and also has the potential to offer the feeling of getting extra services from the female singers.

For the small price of 10 000€ per month, it will offer the potential for the ultimate experience in music and pleasure. Since its one of kind product produced by intent, magic and metaphysics it can not be sold.

3 Likes

Sometimes it is not so much about buying a box to get a different or better sound. There may be few like me who decided that the equipment are staying put, endgame so to speak. All these little tweaks and fancy cables are just the icing on the cake. They may or may not bring an improvement to the system but these are the places to tinker and have fun when one gets bored, especially when the boxes are not going anywhere.

3 Likes

I’m cheap when it comes to this tweak. As mentioned further up in this thread, I tried various DIY cables risers in the form of dense foam, wood blocks etc. without hearing a worthwhile difference. Tried some cheap ceramic insulators and thought they brought a slight uplift to the sound.

2 Likes

As i said in my post. It can be fun, but most of the time things like this only bring a cost and thats all and some of them costs are quite large figures, its at times like these them a box swap to guarantee an inpovement is a much wiser option.
All these tweaks and especially these cable rises are done to so called inpove sound, as they certainly look silly.

All i will say is, anyone thinking about all this just play a song and get 2 people to just lift your speaker cables off the floor, while you listen i am willing to bet you wont notice a difference, hay why not do it blind as that way you wont know when they lift them. But wait as with all things like this it takes about a month to settle in and the full gains heard so better make them a pack up each, lol.

8 Likes

In your case you have solid floor and Townsend podiums under your speakers. The cable risers would have a little effect. But in my case, I heard the difference. And it costed me only 60 euros.

1 Like

In the podcast interview @james_n posted above, Steve Sells explains that cables on a concrete floor interact with the metal grid in the concrete.

Devraj also makes the same point above.

1 Like

Well in the uk, you don’t tend to have metal reinforcing in the screed, (about 70mm thick) that then sits on celotez, ( 100mm min) then you get the concrete slab, but in most homes built these days and for around 20 years or so, the concrete slab has gone and a suspended block and beam is used, so i can’t see metal playing any effect at all in most of the houses in the uk

Preferably wearing s blindfold.

2 Likes

Yes i did mention the blindfold test in my quote

Life’s so complex sometimes isn’t it.

1 Like

Certainly.

Tweaking has taken my breath away.

My god! What to do about the wires touching the rafters or the studs behind the wall!! :scream:

As an EE, I find this hilarious :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Me too. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

The theoretical benefits of cable lifters, as I understand it are:

1. with certain carpets the fibre mix (synthetics) can create static that could have a negative effect. Also the same carpet types ‘may’ contain fibres made from the same substances that the dialectic of the cables are made from, thus interfering with the functioning of the dialectic.
    This is clearly not a concern on wooden floors.
  2. vibration/microphony control: the idea that cable risers help eliminate floor-born vibrations from entering equipment/speakers.
    I would assume that this is more of an issue with wooden/hard floor surfaces - presumably carpet serves as an isolator to some extent.

As an experiment I made some speaker cable risers out of pine - they cost me all of £10 in materials and an hour or so of time (cutting, glueing, sanding, oiled finish). Could I tell a difference? Not really, although there may have been a small amount of increase in treble clarity. Would I spend hundreds of pounds on riser? No I wouldn’t!

As for Dunc’s point about tweaks/vs new equipment. I am a great believer in getting set-up and room interactions/speaker positioning sorted. If one is happy with the sound of their equipment it does make sense to get the best of it by optimising set-up. This includes:

1. speaker/subwoofer positioning - frequency response, phase, imaging etc.
  2. isolating/coupling (which ever you prefer) speakers/subwoofers from/to the environment.
  3. well- considered room treatment - if permissible!
  4. good support for electrical components.
    I would go as far as to argue that unless the above is done, people rarely experience what their equipment is truly capable off. In my own experience that gradual process of ‘tweaking’ has transformed the acoustic performance of my main system.
3 Likes

Alex,

I went down a similar route with a DIY solution and found a small but worthwhile improvement. At that point I reasoned that commercially available risers should be superior to my DIY solution. I purchased a set of eight Audioquest Cable Lifters for just over £100. Not a fortune but not exactly peanuts either. They are very noticeably superior to my DIY effort and well worth the cost IMO.

I would say don’t dismiss these products based on a DIY solution. Sure it’s worth experimenting first but the chances are that commercially made products will out-perform any DIY effort. Much like mains cables or racks. It’s perfectly possible to stick with DIY solutions here and gain an improvement. It’s then easy to take the view that it’s not worth shelling out hundreds or thousands of pounds for commercial products as your DIY effort works. In reality the DIY solution is only showing you a glimpse of what can be achieved.

Well, yes and no. The 3 Naim Powerlines I purchased recently have made a very obvious improvement. They are not boxes. Most would class them as tweaks. For the outlay though I would say you would be very hard pressed to get the sort of improvement I have experienced by purchasing another box.

2 Likes

Why? All they are saying here is that they work but that they can’t be sure why. Surely that’s more honest than spouting a load of pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo?