Cable Risers can Improve SQ…?

Some of the best audio ears in the world being in charge of the mixing and master process are far far to the right in that scale. Still what they produce sounds awesome. The brain is a master in compensating for damage to your senses.

2 Likes

Not sure what point you are trying to make? Any comparison between the average consumer and a professional music producer seems irrelevant, other than to highlight that most people seeking absolute reproductive fidelity actually haven’t a clue what the source material sounds like in real life.

I’ve given you a hint and you can read up on the rest :+1:

Like going to a gig?

2 Likes

I’m interested to learn, so how about some references?

And studio produced material?

An interesting statement. From my own experience I would say:

1. By it nature, EDM is rarely ‘live’, rather it is generally made or broken in the ‘studio’. It can sound good ‘live’ though.
  2. un-amplified classical music is live - thanks to my dad being a pianist, in my younger days I heard plenty of live classical music and it can sound beautiful.
    The following might be controversial😉
  3. rock/pop music - anything involving electronic instruments (guitar/synth) mixed with voice and instruments amplified through a PA system. I’m afraid that, IMO, once the excitement of the gig and the ‘hit’ of the drums has passed, I generally much prefer listening to this on a HiFi system. First, being a country dweller, fields are for farming/animals, not those who leave trails of litter.

More seriously, from experience, PA systems are often very harshly EQ-D with too much midrange which I personally find fatiguing - at worst it just sounds like a load of very loud noise. Good quality PAs can be set up correctly but too often they are not. Of course, it might be that they are set-up by old ‘roadies’ who have had their hearing battered by years of music at too high a volume.

In my uni days I used to set-up the 20,000 watt university sound system at Hull. I would EQ it to sound smooth which many, especially women, used to enjoy. Interestingly, the holder hands and sometimes band members used to like the EQ hotter in the mids. When playing actual gigs, many band members liked having their monitors turned up and up - I bet their ears were ringing by the end of the night.

1 Like

I agree that the sound of rock/pop is usually better at home. However, pop/rock is a performance art that is not just about SQ or even just about music, so the two ways to listen to it simply put focus on different aspects.

Similar to how a jazz instrumentalist’s take on an improvisation on a record may be better than the one in a concert, but the thrill of inventing something in front of a live audience is a different kind of special

1 Like

Studio produced material.

This varies depending on who is playing and recording what in what way - e.g. if all or most of the players are wearing headphones when they play/sing, and recording their parts at different times, there is no real sound of what the music was actually like - in part because it was never played as a whole so is a ‘Frankenstein’ creation at birth.

Whether you’re describing live or studio music, there is strictly speaking no “what it really sounds like” - because it will sound different to each person depending whether they are in the stalls or the rear circle, central or off-axis, turned this way or that, drunk or sober, sad or happy, behind a pillar or in the best seat in the house, half deaf or with perfect hearing, etc.

2 Likes

Hi Blackmorec

Quick question - when you had a dedicated radial based on a LAPP cable, which LAPP cable was it?

Thanks
James

Gosh James,
This tells you I keep stuff far to long. Without any effort I found the original receipt from `Germany. The cable is called Netzkabel Oelflex Classic 110SY 3 x 4,0qmm LAPP. Good cable…2 runs still installed on a Schuko duplex socket.

1 Like

You may have to edit that post.

I’ll get a pair of Furutech NCF Booster signal tomorrow :sunglasses::man_shrugging:

Thanks - that’s impressive filing!
James

I bought 3 of these.

Made no difference…

Will give them another try when the system/room is ready.

But my first impression is that it is just a very expensive cable lifter.

1 Like

Nice to bump into an ex TC member on here!

During my tenure it seemed that cranking the subs to make the optics in the adjacent bars rattle was the optimum “EQ”

1 Like

I have them on loan so can always return them if no improvements. I have although only read good about these lifters and have great experience of their other NCF products so we’ll see :blush:

It might work for you, though.

I’ve also read some glowing reviews, like:

“To describe the insertion of the Furutech lifters as transformative is actually an understatement”

and

“to say that I was more than a little shocked is also an understatement”

(google for " theaudiobeat First Sounds: Furutech NCF Booster ").

There is a big difference between what I perceived, i.e. really nothing, and what the reviewer perceived.

This is all the more surprising as my system is clearly more revealing than the reviewer’s (My system: treated room, Magico, Soulution 7 series, etc.)

Very expensive cable lifters they are! :sweat_smile:

Which power cables did you put them on?

I believe the effect of them being lifters are much less than the effect of the NCF material itself. Many believe they are plain lifters only when they look at the pricing which is wrong.

With Vovox Textura Fortis top cables and Nordost Valhalla 2.

I am not surprised by the result.

I think some reviewers tend to exaggerate or perhaps even imagine some results…

How could passive elements, which are not even in the signal or power path, make such a difference?

Anyway, I would have at least taken the trouble to try.
I bought 3 of them ! :sweat_smile: