Cable risers

Please just make sure we do not discuss the use of cable risers for Ethernet cables or the forum might implode.

2 Likes

Could there be something to it when Naim uses them in demo’s at shows? Don’t be so cynical guys. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Steve2, Would love to see some pictures if possible. Thank you

Hi @feeling_zen, I also use Aeroflex around all my system connection cables. It is very cheap and one can cut & bend it quite easily. I haven’t used it for the NACA5 speaker cables yet but probably will do so. I saw Audioquest has cable lifters but quite expensive.

Just want to be sure Aeroflex can’t harm anything? I didn’t notice any bad influences and now have ensured no cables touch eachother.

Iver

1 Like

It’s not cynicism it’s scepticism.

Fair enough

:small_blue_diamond:I did this back in 1986,.I hung the Naca4-cables in threads from Nap to Linn Kan.

They hung in the air,.and touched nothing from Nap to Linn Kan…not even the hifi-rack.
As I said,.they touched nothing…!!!

It was a very nice improvement in soundquality. We experimented a lot at the time,.but this experiment was very good.

:small_blue_diamond:@ricsimas,…Darkebear has described in the thread “Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania”.
That his Audioquest Vodka ethernet/streaming-cable sounds best,.if it doesn’t take in anything from switch to streamer.

So we’re already there :wink::grin:.

/Peder🙂

I don’t understand how using cable risers is any better than having it sat on the carpet. Surely if it’s up in the air it’s more susceptible to vibration? The weight is focussed on a few points rather than being spread evenly over the length. Anyway, one of my wires goes through four feet of trunking beneath the fireplace so risers would be impossible. It’s always seemed a step to obsession too far somehow. If anyone could explain why it’s better than being on the carpet…

I asked myself the same Qs when I recently put pipe lagging circles between all my cables and other objects, including the carpet.

Now my cables touch only one type of surface - polystyrene - instead of carpets, walls, shelves, columns, other cables, skirting boards, tiles, etc.

And they touch much less surface area of solid stuff than before - probably 90% less.

So they pick up less EM field noise and mechanical vibration from these other things - especially other cables.

Yes, they sag slightly between supports, and can wiggle as they are suspended.

But that’s surely better than what they were doing before.

I think carpet may give static to cables as they rub it - but that’s a guess.

Anyway, they touch a lot less lagging than carpet.

And it does sound better.

Does it look crap?

Not to me when I know it’s making the system sound significantly better.

Thanks. All the wires other than the speaker leads hang free and don’t touch anything. The speaker cables live on the carpet. As there is no vibration in the carpet and the floor is concrete beneath, to me it would seem that raising them would make them more susceptible to airborne vibration. But what do I know, and it’s not an option anyway.

1 Like

Dan5

I use rubber bands to rest the cables on (not attached in these photos) to rest the cables on.

Hope this helps.

Steve2

Thanks Steve. I think I’ll give it go

IMG_0074
Hi have anyone tried these.
They are concrete steel spacers.
They are pennies to buy.
(First time I’ve tried putting a picture up. Hope it’s worked)
Cheers
Mark

1 Like

Dan5 I forgot to add your name to the above page for you to see it.
I’m new to this. Don’t even know if I’ve still done it right.
Cheers

Mark,
I see the photo. Interesting, something to explore.

Thank you
Dan

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.