Cable upgrades

Where I’m at is buying S/L would have a significant impact on my planned 300 box upgrade but Hi-Line wouldn’t, so I feel it should really be Hi-Line/Morgana or nothing at this stage.

2 Likes

Do you have the SL speaker cables Mike ?

1 Like

Yes, you are probably right, but the OP is planning a 500 by the looks of it, in which case….

I initially had ordered a hi-line for my NDX2, but my dealer had a used Superlumina, which is what I ended up with. Since then, I’ve added the speaker cables and then the cable for the 252 to 250 when I moved to that from the SN2.

1 Like

You should see the SL prices now here

Could buy a Maserati instead

2 Likes

Ah, I missed that bit sorry. Yes, in that case it might be better to focus on items that won’t be redundant when you upgrade. So, the Powerlines and any interconnects that you would keep.

1 Like

I’d definately budget for SL between NDS & 552 and yes, that is speaking from experience. Worthwhile jump up from Hiline in terms of clarity, detail, foot- tapping response. Look for used to save the ££s

2 Likes

I just had a look and none of the NZ retailers have listed prices for Superlumina. But all the new pricing is really getting up there, out of my league for any upgrades with new gear now.

I think it’s very likely that a S/L will find it’s way onto my system at some point but I’m thinking 5 years hence, so I think a Hi-Line could provide decent value in the meantime with a trade-in or sale eventually.

1 Like

With you on that one Mike

When it gets to the point for me to have a NDX2 I’ll be funding that through flogging off a few bits of my equipment

I think the SL stuff may have almost doubled in price

1 Like

Likewise John. I can’t justify the expense of further black box upgrades for a few years, but I’m very happy with my system anyway! A couple of powerlines are also on the shopping list!

1 Like

Same here. Very impressed with both. :ok_hand:

I actually preferred the hi-line to the SL cables, I found the SL cables too aggressive, especially in the mid range.

1 Like

Fairly new to Naim, I appreciated the option of using the 5-pin DIN connectors with my 5italic & NATO5. Radio is how I get most of the enjoyment from music btw.

A recording engineer pal suggested I try a Roland MIDI cable… his recommendation that it was likely the same cable used to record the source.

Can confirm it works every bit as well as the grey locking Naim cable. YMMV. Affordable enough to try @ just $25 CDN for 1.5m

1 Like

Did you find the hiline superior to the lavender? if so, then in which way(s)?

I found it superior in every way, the hi-line was a real step up in sound quality.

4 Likes

Agree. Important to fit it correctly by pushing firmly in and pulling the case back gently until it bites.

G

1 Like

Agree with this - huge step up in SQ - highly recommended

4 Likes

OK this thread has really whet my appetite for a Hi-Line :smiley:

1 Like

Another Hi-Line user and advocate here. But as has been said umpteen times before, look elsewhere if it cannot be incorporated to hang free from other wires and cables, the floor, wall etc. Sounds great on CDX2 and NDX2 to my ears.

1 Like

I’d look for a pre-loved one in good condition and give it a try. Little to lose that way if you are not impressed- given the price difference!